Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying New Cheap Basic Laptop

Options
  • 01-08-2007 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I am looking to get a new Laptop - need some advice.

I am not looking for something with all the bells and whistles.

I will be using it for Basic Stuff -
    surfing Web(wireless router needed)
    watching movies
    bluetooth connectivity
    connecting to camera/phone

Nothing fancy here.
    I was looking at the Inspiron 6400
    http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspn_6400?c=ie&l=en&s=dhs&cs=iedhs1

But if anybody can reccomened anything else that would be great - or give me feedback on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

I have a 6400 and am very happy with it for basic surfing, documents, and general speed. A Few downsides
    1) Its heavy - not very portable
    2) The DVD drive is a bit flaky on mine. Seems to be a common problem
    3) It can overheat and the screen shuts off. Happens if it has been on for like 8 hours so I suppose it is not so bad. Have to plug it out, pull out battery and leave it cool down.
    4) No memory card reader

Other than that very pleased with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭warrenaldo

did you get any add ons to it? i was thinking of upgrading to the
    Dual-Core T2080 Processor (1.73)
    From the(1.6)

Everywhere seems to rave about the Dual Core Processor speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

warrenaldo wrote:
    did you get any add ons to it? i was thinking of upgrading to the
    Dual-Core T2080 Processor (1.73)
    From the(1.6)

Everywhere seems to rave about the Dual Core Processor speeds.

Do you need Dual core? It is a way of future-proofing the laptop, but if money is tight, think about whether you need it or not.

Also, just a note on the bluetooth - it is an optional extra, so make sure to select it.

As for meeting your requirements, it most certainly will. Just make sure to go for at least 1Gig of RAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭warrenaldo

well that was the reason for the dual core - hoping that it will prolong its life expectancy with me.

cheers.

Anybody have any other good laptops in this class that may be worth checking out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 johnny_paradise

iam not messin but i seen in dunnes stores in dundalk they had a fidjitsu simans laptop for either 399 or 499. it was black quit small and very light. windows vista installed also and an 80gb hard drive. i would recomend it for general use

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

I too am looking for a laptop and was looking at the 6400. How long does delivery take from Dell? Any other ideas on a cheap one to play poker on, watch movies and surf ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 johnny_paradise

i am not sure but i got one and it came bout a week before expected. i think it was meant to be 3 weeks. if you ring them they will tell you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

kmick wrote:
    3) It can overheat and the screen shuts off. Happens if it has been on for like 8 hours so I suppose it is not so bad. Have to plug it out, pull out battery and leave it cool down.

What do you mean 'not too bad'?? If that was me I'd be sending it straight back. Granted mine does sometimes overheat the odd time after 7-8 hours of non-stop games playing, but I often run it 24/7 for days and no problems. Overheating after a few hours, unless you're doing really super intensive tasks, is not acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 vindesel

I recently bought a laptop off these guys for €620. Kompustore I'd try them or a store. I'd problems with my last laptop (Dell) and took 3 months to get it fixed!!.

vindesel wrote:
    I recently bought a laptop off these guys for €620. <snip> I'd try them or a store. I'd problems with my last laptop (Dell) and took 3 months to get it fixed!!.

vindesel - can you confirm you have nothing to do with that website? I am very suspicious of anyone who pimps a website on their first post.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

tom dunne wrote:
    vindesel - can you confirm you have nothing to do with that website? I am very suspicious of anyone who pimps a website on their first post.

Hopefully we have another irishpc.com situation. :)

Nothing to do with them..or Dell. No odds to me where the guy buys from. Just don't want the same thing happening to anyone else.

vindesel wrote:
    Nothing to do with them..or Dell. No odds to me where the guy buys from. Just don't want the same thing happening to anyone else.

That's grand, thanks for that.

Nothing personal, but you would be surprised the amount of website/business owners who try to get free advertising by pretending to be a satisfied customer.

Welcome to the forum. :)

Thanks Tom. Guess i better watch my P's & Q's here.:) by the way whats the irishpc thingy about?

vindesel wrote:
    Thanks Tom. Guess i better watch my P's & Q's here.:)

No, you really don't have to. I am probably more sensitive/anal about this than other mods.
    vindesel wrote:
    by the way whats the irishpc thingy about?

Don't go there. :D Check out the link in my signature.

which link?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

vindesel wrote:
    which link?

This is it.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055115646

Ha ha it's really funny. Didn't they actually pay for advertising here?

Edit: Note that the user from irishpcs posts were deleted. So it might not make much sence.

Ha ha.Sounds like a top end operation. 1. How cheap are they trying to advertise in forums. 2 With the store owners attitude i'd say he has very few customers. Wonder what his help desk team are like to deal with ...lol lol:D

vindesel wrote:
    Ha ha.Sounds like a top end operation. 1. How cheap are they trying to advertise in forums. 2 With the store owners attitude i'd say he has very few customers. Wonder what his help desk team are like to deal with ...lol lol:D

Yeah I can only imagine.

What do you mean there's a problem with our product. Our stuff is the fúcking sh!t now fúck before I have you killed. Thank you please come again. :D

:D i dont see a registration number or vat number on the site anywhere. Must check the kom site for that too...

• Advertisement
Advertisement