Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are mature students included in the 'no students' rule?

Options
  • 31-07-2007 4:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭

Basically I've seen a house-share I am v.interested in and have emailed the landlord who has emailed me back asking me what I do for a living. I suspect this may have something to do with the usual 'no students' rules many landlords implement (which having lived with younger students I can completely understand believe me!) so I am wondering whether I should fib about what I do so that my chances aren't blown out of the water.

The tenancy term is flexible so it's not a case that she wouldn't rent to a student on the basis it would be a 9 month lease but the house is near enough the uni I go to so that's why I am overthinking at this stage! I am 25 and owned my own house before I went back to college so am definately a 'grown up' - should I tell the truth and hope or be a bit creative and say I'm lecturing at the uni for a year?!

Might sound weird but it's a great house and I'd hate to lose it just because I am at college!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Depends on the landlord, really. Mature students I'm sure are looked at more favourably than 18 yr old ones...but to be honest I'd lie and just say you're lecturing/working.

The only thing to watch out for is if the landlord asks for a work reference. Then you might choke on your lies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

It is in the landlord's interest to take into account all the relevant factors and not stick blindly to rules. I would be honest about being being a mature student. If his objection is to young students trashing the place, this should obviously not apply to you. If he feels it does then perhaps you don't want him as a landlord. My 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Electric

My mum has let out a house in the past and mature students would always have been looked on more favourably than an 18 year old first year.

If I were you I'd be up front about your mature studentness. Pretending to be a lecturer etc could come back to haunt you. If you got caught out lying then I doubt that that would go down too well with the landlady.

Plus the fact that the house is so close to the college would mean that the landlady might have experience of students and might be understanding of the fact that you are a grown up

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Don't pretend to be a lecturer or postgrad or whatever. It's so funny when people do that, and very obvious. The problem with students isn't that they're students, it's that they have a propensity to party, their lives can be a bit aimless (therefore hanging around the house a lot) and they tend to leave after quite a short period, at exactly the wrong time (beginning of summer. If you can convince the landlord that none of these apply to you, you might be alright.

Advertisement