Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rabbit Shooting

Options
  • 31-07-2007 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭

How's the rabbit shooting going ?

In my area they seem to be in small isolated pockets still. Plentiful this year where they were scarce last year and vice-versa. However, numbers are definatley up this year on the last few years. Any other observations

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

There are 100's of them in a field across the road from the house. I have shooting rights but they are too close to the road. :mad: The back field has absolutely none at all. Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

I'm in competition with a family of Yellow leg Buzzards who are accounting for vast quantities of bunnies on my patch. I've spent more time watching them hunt than actually shooting lately.

Numbers seem to be down, weather this is due to sickness or the various predators i'm not sure, but there were alot more about the place in may than there is now:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

When my old man's maize started to sprout back in May, they cleared nearly a quarter acre of it in the corner of one field. The cheeky little sh1tes would just stand there and look at you.... there was even a vixen and her cubs with a den on the same ditch. It was so bad that I could drive up on the quad, park in the gap, get off, use the pier as a rest and shoot away. You could shoot 3 or 4 at a time before they'd decide to stroll back to the ditch. Come back ten minutes later and repeat as required. Pure shooting gallery stuff. Mind you, there was practically nothing out the year before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Plentiful where I shoot at the moment, just cleared thirteen walking the fields for an hour, missed a mink and saw a fox in the distance.... (Farmer lost 52 geese on saturday night to foxes)

TJ911...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

I'm not bragging now lads, but there's a 20 acre field beside me and i've shot at least 60 off that 1 field. I brought 2 guys down from Kildare one nite and they couldn't believe it. 25 in one nite and 3 foxes (they were in different fields.) The foxes were taken with a swift. I had a 22 magnum and the other guy had a 17 HMR. The swift is some tool. It definately out performs the .223.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Jonty wrote:
    I'm not bragging now lads, but there's a 20 acre field beside me and i've shot at least 60 off that 1 field. I brought 2 guys down from Kildare one nite and they couldn't believe it. 25 in one nite and 3 foxes (they were in different fields.) The foxes were taken with a swift. I had a 22 magnum and the other guy had a 17 HMR. The swift is some tool. It definately out performs the .223.
    Damn foxes not doing their jobs properly if there is that many rabbits around.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Not a one down this side of the country.:(
    Seriously thinking of asking anyone here on the board if they have ferrets,could we catch two good buck and doe and I'll release them up here for breeding.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

That's a strange one. My buddies brother has a farm seven miles from me and not a rabbit to be seen, but go a mile down the road and there are thousands of them, wonder why they avoid certain areas, mind you, there are plenty of hares on the farm and land but no rabbits.

TJ911...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Seriously thinking of asking anyone here on the board if they have ferrets,could we catch two good buck and doe and I'll release them up here for breeding.?

Same here there are no rabbits near me at all. Think i've seen about 2 in the last 6 years locally

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

i have have a young buck. ready to go in october!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 thejackal

rabbits tend to have burrows where the ground is soft and plenty of food i dont find shooting them with a rifle is as much fun as shooting with a shotgun i go out with my beretta alot and its great to catch them when they run rather than to pick them off from 200 yards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

thejackal wrote:
    rabbits tend to have burrows where the ground is soft and plenty of food i dont find shooting them with a rifle is as much fun as shooting with a shotgun i go out with my beretta alot and its great to catch them when they run rather than to pick them off from 200 yards

Each to their own :cool:

Advertisement