Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chantal is on the way (possibly)

Options
  • 31-07-2007 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭

#3, no name yet

So, whaddya think? Will WE get a lashing?

085035.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Looks like it'll by bypass us by then downgraded to a filling Depression as it runs out of steam when hitting cooler N Atlantic waters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

heres a graphic from the NHC you won't see very often. with Ireland smack bang in the middle of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No it ain't! :)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Its now extratropical with windspeeds of 52km/hr according to public advisory #5.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Hal1 wrote:
    Its now extratropical with windspeeds of 52km/hr according to public advisory #5.
    CHANTAL IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTHEAST NEAR 32 MPH...52 KM/HR...AND
    THIS MOTION IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE WITH SOME INCREASE IN FORWARD
    SPEED DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 50 MPH...85 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER
    GUSTS. CHANTAL IS EXPECTED TO BECOME A STRONG EXTRATROPICAL STORM.

Its speed is 52 Km/Hr in the direction of NE, but the wind speeds are 85 km/hr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Good surfing conditions off the western seaboard if you know any surfing buddies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Well there'll be enough swell but if the winds don't play ball there won't be favourable surfing conditions in too many places out West this weekend. Hopefully I'm wrong! Ideally you're looking for a light offshore breeze or even better, no wind at all, pure swell :)

I don't think there were any classic hurricane swells last year but I remember one or two the year before. Although, that could just be the rose tinted glasses :)

Here's nice little tool for tracking hurricanes that I use: http://www.surfline.com/surfline/hurricane/

Click on Atlantic to launch the Applet.

Just replied to your post on surfing forum [post=53686049]here[/post]

ya me too, didn't mean to be contrary or anything. Just from my own experience I'd be surprised if we get light winds looking at the charts. Although I'm always willing to go with the best forecast I get when it comes to surfing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I saw the lunchtime forecast and the child who was presenting it did foretell a wet weekend (certainly saturday).

Mike.

• Advertisement

Enygma wrote:
    ya me too, didn't mean to be contrary or anything. Just from my own experience I'd be surprised if we get light winds looking at the charts. Although I'm always willing to go with the best forecast I get when it comes to surfing :)
    No bother,where abouts you surf?.I surfed off in Bundoran many moons ago a few times.Not bad location but the last time it was a howling gale blowin and was lets say an "experience".

Mostly down South, been to Bundoran a few times, can be pretty hairy up there in the wrong conditions alright! Anyways, back to hurricanes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Sorry to go off-surfing-topic :) but whilst the centre of the low is projected to go well north of us, UKMETO suggests that there's potential for a bit of wet and windy stuff over the weekend. By the time the tropical depressions come our way they're quite unorganised and are less concentrated so they've a wider berth. Typically results in a spell of yukkiness.

Or, as Gaeilge, dbhucinais :D

Advertisement