Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you do?

Options
  • 31-07-2007 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭

What would you do?

You're flying to the other side of the world to be bridesmaid for your friends wedding. This is costing you the guts of 2 grand.

Do you or do you not purchase a wedding present?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

I'm flying across the world for my brothers wedding, its costing me the guts of 2 grand (and more) and he will NOT be getting a wedding present. My presence will be his present ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

get them a few scratchies :D don't pay more than you can afford. it's not your fault you have to pay 2 grand to go to the wedding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭hot fuss

That's a toughy.. It's nice to give something to commemorate the big day, but at the same time 2 grand seems to be enough to spend really.

Depends on what you can afford I guess.. I don't think they'd be mad with you if you didn't get them anything though - they've no right to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

€100 in a card.
    That goes for any wedding, whether in Ireland or abroad.

On reflection, are they putting you up?
    If they are, then get a present (see above), if not then no present for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

It matters not what we would do. The real question is, what would MacGyver do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Terry wrote:
    €100 in a card.
    That goes for any wedding, whether in Ireland or abroad.

On reflection, are they putting you up?
    If they are, then get a present (see above), if not then no present for them.

No they're not. We're renting a place for a week .....

Screw it then.
    No more soup for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

The real question is, what would MacGyver do?
    Build a present out of everyday household items, held together by chewing gum, tape and elastic bands?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

if it helps, I know my brother and his bride-to-be are'nt expecting any presents from anyone who is travelling to the wedding. Like your situation we're all making our own arrangements and paying our own way. Its gonna cost me around 2,500 in all, alot more than I would've been spending on a present!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

make a card, get some crayons, fluff, and multicoloured paper :D

Depends if you can afford the present or not.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Get them nowt. If they say anything about it tell them to get fcuked!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

get them a tesco value toaster

10 quid, you can't go wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Create or getting them something that would have a meaning between the 2 of you, wouldn't have to cost much. Think back through the good moments ye had together and pick out something that would remind her of that or create a scrapbook with pictures of all the memories ye shared together, and so on... just takes a little imagination and costs little to nothing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Well no body has asked what do you mean about half way around the world. Basically is the wedding in Europe or on another continent.? that makes a big difference.

If it is in europe due to the fact that the cost of flights would be alot less and you have the option of going as part of a holiday or going for one night, I think a small present when you get back would be a good idea. If the wedding is further a field the cost of flights goes up and the option of staying for only one night etc is a non runner, I would not think you should be obliged to give a wedding present when you return. Perhaps a small "token" present to the bride since you are the bridesmaid is enough. REmember you did have a choice in turning the job down also or not going.:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

She's your friend.

I would say yes to a present. Maybe not a madly expensive one, but then good presents don't have to be.

spurious wrote:
    She's your friend.

I would say yes to a present. Maybe not a madly expensive one, but then good presents don't have to be.

Yeah I was thinking along those lines myself - the question is what though! The wedding is in Australia.

Glowing wrote:
    Yeah I was thinking along those lines myself - the question is what though! The wedding is in Australia.
    A dingo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

get her some duty free on the aeroplane. Most wedding presents are **** anyway so something they can drink or smoke would be better received.

Most wedding presents are **** anyway so something they can drink or smoke would be better received.

You sound a bit bitter, did you get a dingo or a 10 euro Tesco Toaster? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Oh No, I'm being forced to go on an extended vacation. My friends are such selfish ****ers. Poor me. Whinge whinge whinge.
    Don't buy them a present if you don't want, but really its just embarrassing not to.

• Advertisement

davyjose wrote:
    Oh No, I'm being forced to go on an extended vacation. My friends are such selfish ****ers. Poor me. Whinge whinge whinge.
    Don't buy them a present if you don't want, but really its just embarrassing not to.

I didn't whinge once. Get a life.

Stfu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Unpossible wrote:
    Build a present out of everyday household items, held together by chewing gum, tape and elastic bands?

Exactly!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Glowing wrote:
    What would you do?

You're flying to the other side of the world to be bridesmaid for your friends wedding. This is costing you the guts of 2 grand.

Do you or do you not purchase a wedding present?

Jaysis you'd think they'd help you with costs. Cheeky.

I'd say no pressie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

If the wedding is in Oz. I think you being there is enough of a pressie. If it was italy or spain I think something appropriate could be given. Different continent,.. no present needed. Its like these people who have parties after they come back. Basically saying you weren't at the wedding but buy me a present. My motto is "No spuds, no goods"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Terry wrote:
    A dingo.

Dont be stupid. A dingo is not a wedding present.

Its for anniversaries only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Glowing wrote:
    You sound a bit bitter, did you get a dingo or a 10 euro Tesco Toaster? :D

I pay €50 euros a head for a meal, then buy people loads of wine and beer and they get me a ten uro toaster, great:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

NO ONES SAID IT YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.........

get them YORE MA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(i finally get to say,and in the most ridiculous out if context way ever)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

It matters not what we would do. The real question is, what would MacGyver do?
    Screw that! What would Raptor Jesus do?

• Advertisement

Get them a llama. Everyone needs a llama.

Advertisement