Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of getting a laptop in the US

Options
  • 31-07-2007 12:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭

I was thinking of getting a laptop through eBay and it would be coming from the United States. The thing I'm wondering is plugging it in over here, with the different electricity system we have over here. Can I pick up a power cable in the shops here that'll plug into the computer without frying it? Or am I worrying over nothing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

AFAIK they're usually supplied with a 100-240V transformer.. you'll probably need to pick up a kettle lead to connect the transformer to the mains socket... or a US 2-pin to Irish 3-pin adaptor..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

It should be fine, what my learned friend said above is correct. Depends on the brand of laptop but you'll be able to get a lead to go from the power adaptor to the wall socker (sometimes a clover type or kettle type lead).
    Careful of getting spanked by customs with getting the laptop sent from US though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭brian_rbk

all you will need is something like this...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/US-UK-Plug-Travel-Adaptor/dp/B0006OFKNC

All laptop adapters ive seen will work in the us and irl/uk. Just make sure the transformer says 110v - 240v

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Petey2006

Yeah, actually, that's something else. What is the deal with customs? If I was getting it couriered over, can customs seize it until I pay the fees? And what would the fees likely cost?

Thanks for the help so far.

Advertisement