Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB 2.0 Device Cable - Rip off price

Options
  • 31-07-2007 12:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

Needed one of these to connect a printer and had a look in Harvey Norman's. They had a Belkin one for €19.99 which I thought was a crazy price so dedcided to try and get a cheaper one somewhere else. Within 30 minutes I got an identical Belkin cable in Tesco for €3.99 which was less than one fifth of the Harvey Norman price.
    Didn't seem like a pricing error as the 1.8 metre cable was €19.99 and the 3 metre version was close to €26.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,426 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Try Dell for usb cable.....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Dell are just as bad, I remember choosing not to include a usb printer cable with a printer I bought off them because it was about €18 so like logonapr, I got one in Tesco for about 3 or 4 quid:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭sideshowdave

i also encountered the same when i went to get a usb lead for printer and i too opted for tescos at a fiver and this was over a year ago, i also had a similar problem when i went to get a 1.8m vga lead, priced one in dixons at 40 euro could not believe it, ended up getting one for a fiver from a little shop in tallaght which is hidden away behind milbrook lawns shopping centre in tallaght " will find out the name of it and repost". away totally rip off prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Some stores should be ashamed of themselves. I normally grab them in bulk from eBay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

The markup makes them a **** ton of profit. I used to work in a computer place and we'd get murdered if we didn't sell USB leads with printers, because it bumped up the margin by a huge amount. People used to look at me like I was nuts trying to flog them a €20 cable, I ended up just saying 'By the way, the cable is €20. Do you want it?' Sadly a lot of consumers have no idea what a USB cable is other than it makes the printer work, so they will pay that much.

They're essential, so people will pay money for them. Same goes for blank CDs, DVDs, other cables, printer ink- all cheap to produce, all necessary, all guaranteed profit.

Just grab it from Tesco or again bulk orders on ebay are handy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

That shop you are talking about is in Dominics shopping centre, down the laneway, and round the back. It is more like a warehouse but is really reasonable for stuff. I bought a SWEEX wireless router and USB adapter for 70 euro. They were seperates but the guy gave me the price of the bundled pack they had sold out of.

The name of the place is Digital Media Direct.

Check it out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Gauge wrote:
    The markup makes them a **** ton of profit. I used to work in a computer place and we'd get murdered if we didn't sell USB leads with printers, because it bumped up the margin by a huge amount.

Me too. The flip side is that the margin on the printer was probably less than the margin on the cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

me too. ^ sounds like we all worked in the same place :D

Advertisement