Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Bar?

Options
  • 30-07-2007 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭

This section seems a bit empty, so what's everybodies favourite bar for a good night out?
    Personally I think Masons is the best craic, especially when theres a band on.
    Otherwise Spoons and Ice Wharf are good for the start of the night, just because of the cheap drinks :D
    Bound For Boston, Sugar and Strand Bar are also great spots :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

When in Derry I enjoy DaVincis.

There is also a wee pub at the foot of Shipquay street just inside the gate. Can't remember the name of it.

I look forward to going to the Oak prior to a Brandywell trip on any given night to have a pint with the boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Smegball wrote:
    This section seems a bit empty, so what's everybodies favourite bar for a good night out?
    Personally I think Masons is the best craic, especially when theres a band on.
    Otherwise Spoons and Ice Wharf are good for the start of the night, just because of the cheap drinks :D
    Bound For Boston, Sugar and Strand Bar are also great spots :D

Ice wharf is good for a few early evening beers and cheap too. Some of the punters are quite easy on the eye as well. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Scobey

Sandinos used to be the best bar in town, not so much anymore, but it's still a decent spot and there's rarely any bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Always liked Earth and Sugar when was up there for uni. Carraig was good for few drinks before hand. Think Derry far better for a night out than Belfast by far. In my opinion at least :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,118 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It all depends on what you like with Derry pubs.

I prefer a decent atmosphere, decent clientele and 'live' music. The lure of cheap drink doesn't do it for me. I have to disagree a little about the likes of Wetherspoons and Ice Wharf. I have found Wetherspoons really rough - and any time I visit (rarely admittedly) there are too many people too drunk for the time of the day. Ice Wharf is going that way too but it is nowhere near as bad.

Da Vincis is ok but is more for the older crowd. Also like Becketts, River Inn, Carraig, Paedars and Gweedore.

The Metro remains easily the busiest bar in the town, but thats cos its full of posers. Sometimes you have to go there if you are heading out on a relatively quiet night, cos some places can be empty when the Metro is full!!

But I have really gone off it over the last 5 years or so. Perhaps I am just getting old but the sight of fella's who spend longer getting ready than the girls doesn't do it for me. And watching them fixing their hair in the toilets is just comical. No point, cos when they get back to the bar the girls won't chat to you anyway !! And has anyone else noticed that it is usually about 3:1 ratio of men to women?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Ice Wharf to get started (cheap beer but I don't like Wetherspoons cause a lot of the people tend to be up themselves)
    Bound4 or Masons. Masons used to be a great bar years ago as Henry J's (the original incarnation of the bar). Lost a bit over time. Now it's OK but even with live music, they have it waaaaaay too loud. Don't think anyone there really knows how to do a sound check :(
    Bound4 used to be amazing, but since they redecorated it looks more like an indian restaurant. It's the 'new bar' in town because of it, and as such tends to draw what I like to call the Metro crowd to it. They'll be there till the next 'New bar' opens, then Bound4 will die a death cause they've pushed away a lot of the old patrons. Though not the die harders.
    The rest are based on R&B vs Dance music, or if you like that old 70's/80's blend of 1 record to last the whole night, go to Downey's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 McDaid--1916

Paedars, Dungloe best bars in Derry.

Dungloe has a live bands every sunday doing irish rebel music. During the week they would have live fiddle sessions, tin whistle sessions and all sorts.

Peadars do similar sessions.

These two bars are by far the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Depends on what sort of a night you're after i guess. I prefer Peaders for a quiet/trad night if i am headin on the lash then it will be sugar or metro havent been to red rooms dont really have any desire to go there either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 *StoneCold*

Im surprized no-one has mentioned this but the best bar/spot in Derry has got to be the Bowling Alley in Pennyburn!

Never any trouble, lots off talent, bowling, pool and Arcades! Love that bar!

Hate weatherspoons and the ice wharf, main reason is that they dont sell Harp and i dont know why as its probably the most popular beer along with carlsberg in the city!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 McDaid--1916

Redrooms is a good spot, they always have big DJs on and is a really nice place. i was there a few weeks back, MADNESS!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Only know coleraine and have been told have the wrong accent to be drinking there.

Havana in portstewarts a nice spot, anchor good on student nights. Horrible chicken kebabs for afters but pizzas are the business.

Kelly's in portrush can be alright but depends on crowd going with, though only ventured there on student nights

Would many places in Derry City show the republic games when they're on, not exactly spoilt for choice down here!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Would many places in Derry City show the republic games when they're on, not exactly spoilt for choice down here!
    Most bars will show the Republic's games.

Advertisement