Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Proper' printing

Options
  • 30-07-2007 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭

I had a friend do a couple of prints on some beautiful Epson Somerset Velvet paper and the difference between that and what I get from photobox on their version of matte (shiny with a texture) was sickening. My printer wouldn't be up to the job if I used the paper myself (like putting an L lens on a Holga :rolleyes:) so I was wondering if anyone actually provides a decent printing service on some lovely fine art paper like that.

I found this mob who do the job for €24 for an A3, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of anyone else doing something similar, to compare prices? This is exhibition quality so obviously you're not going to get photobox prices - I'm just wondering if there's a wider market or if this is the standard.

Also, has anyone actually tried something like this before?

I think it may be worth getting one done to see the difference...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

Not much practical use to you (they're in Oz), but plenty of reading about the art of preparing of to make "The Digital Fine Print" as opposed to your bog standard inkjet version. Also has loads of other stuff to wade through, if you have the energy.

http://www.imagescience.com.au/Knowledge/DFP/DFP.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

Ooh, ta. Have bookmarked it for when my brain isn't mushy... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

You can use the printers in RuaRed and do it yourself. Bring up your own paper and have some fun with it. I know Sineadw runs classes on printing up there every few months, maybe pop her a pm (I've only heard great things about it!). It might take a while to get your perfect print but it's well worth it.

I was busy up there printing this morning.
    1239449_709379189078109_1963191499_n.jpg

600148_674952515854110_2082285099_n.jpg

It's a fantastic service and you'll save yourself a bomb in the longrun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Ive been reading up a bit on this and do folks think that pro level inkjets like the canon PRO-1 or epson stylus pro 3880 are as good as dye-sub printers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

pro level injets are far better than dyesub

firstly they are lightfast, dyesub isnt

generally with decent paper inkjets will have a wider colour gamut too

• Advertisement
Advertisement