Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuters taking bicycles on trains

Options
  • 30-07-2007 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can give me details of the rules on taking bicycles on trains for commutes to/from Dublin?
    Planned route is Portarlington to Hazelhatch.

Any experiences also welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

If its a fold up bike you won't have any problems, got positive feedback on that, seen many bikes being unfolded in Heuston. It is best have a proper cover for the bike, also permitted on Luas, both at no extra charge.

Full non folding bike, forget about it, you pay extra 2.50 euro each way from Portarlington, it must be stowed in the guards van, if a railcar operates the service (90% of trains stopping in Hazelhatch are) you can't bring your bike

You won't find details on Irish Rail's site but it is mentioned in the terms and conditions again not on the Irish Rail site

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I found it on www.iarnrodeireann.ie and then closed the window :(
    It's in the FAQ.

Seems a bit ridiculous to me. If people could cycle to the station, park their bike in a secure rack in a dedicated carriage (you lock it in with a code or something), then just take it off again and cycle into work, you'd have a huge uptake of this, and it could help empty the car parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Seamus - not really, since your bike displaces another passenger. Better that a bikeshare station be available at your destination and a secure, bookable bike locker at your origin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

MarkoP11 wrote:
    if a railcar operates the service (90% of trains stopping in Hazelhatch are) you can't bring your bike
    I had problems before with this. I was travelling from Liverpool to Mullingar via Dun- Laoighre no problem taking the bike on UK railcars they even had an area of the train resevered for bikes. Got to Dun Laoighre and got a horrible Irish rail guy you cant take that on. I explained to him I had just got off the ferry and was going to mulligar. I told him I had a ticket for my bike he was having none of it. I stood there pleading with him he would not let me down to the platform. I then seen on the board that the Rosslare Intercity heading for Connolly was due in 15 mins this was about 5 years ago whn they had the gaurds car. I asked the ticket guy could I Gget on that train he told me he was not letting me down to the platform and told me I was barred from the station. it ended up I walk with my bags and bike to Salthhill i expalined my sory to the guy at that saion and he let me on the dart but told me if it got busy to get off. It ended up I missed my connection because of this and had to send the night in a hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

The prices aren't online and its buried on the secondary site not the passenger one, it used to be in the timetable but vanished as well.

Secure bike parking is available at some main stations

The on train issue is quite simple, if there isn't enough room for passengers as it stands carrying bikes on commuter services isn't workable as doing so would reduce the number carried, anyone who has travelled Maynooth or Drogheda lines in the rush hour can relate to this. All services listed as intercity do carry bikes but they do charge for it which is a problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭scaldybelt

I would be doubling my journey time by doing this car for bike/train swapping exercise, but as you all point out - I would have to either have 2 bikes, or spend more money on a folding bike. And even then, if I meet a station guard on the wrong day I'm back in the car!

And they wonder why we won't get out of our cars in this country!
    It's because you won't make it easy for us - Big Brother!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Agree with the above poster completely.

If Public Transport is ever to replace the car in this country, it needs to be cheaper, comfortable, flexible and convenient.

Stories like jjbrien's above illustrate exactly what's wrong with our system:

- Ignorant IE staff on a power trip (he was "barred" - it's a train station, not a bloody nightclub :rolleyes:)
    - Different answers from different staff (he was eventually allowed on a DART)
    - Too much focus on "procedures" than "customer satisfaction" (the guy had just gotten off a ferry, explained the story,
    had a valid ticket and was met by a guy quoting the rulebook at him rather than trying to accomodate him).

End result: Customer left frustrated, delayed and out of pocket.

Well done CIE. :rolleyes: Definitely "not there yet" anyway... and until they are, people will continue to drive to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭scaldybelt

I always fancied the idea of setting up a business....unfortunately, I don't have the cash stored up to start a franchise renting bicycles at train/bus stations at major stations around our cities to entice commuters out of their cars.

....have the bikes (3 speed, simple cruiser style) on racks available for rent on a per day basis with a lock. Charge them an initial security deposit and a daily or monthly rental fee per account.
    They arrive from train, swipe their member card, grab a bike from the rack and off they go to work/play. Back later that day for their return journey and the bike is left back to the rack.
    Lash some advertising space on the bike frames to increase the income.
    Each station 'depot' would have a maintenance person in case of faults - but continually servicing the bikes.
    Why not sell coffee, snacks and rain coats there also?

It works in major cities on the continent - both privately run and government run.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭daymobrew

MarkoP11 wrote:
    The on train issue is quite simple, if there isn't enough room for passengers as it stands carrying bikes on commuter services isn't workable as doing so would reduce the number carried, anyone who has travelled Maynooth or Drogheda lines in the rush hour can relate to this. All services listed as intercity do carry bikes but they do charge for it which is a problem
    We can all dream of the bike carriages that Caltrain has in San Francisco Bay area (between SF and San Jose). Double decker trains. Of course, for Caltrain, if you can't get a seat it's an exception :p

Irish Rail FAQ about bikes
    Q. Can I bring my bicycle onto the train?
    A. Bicycles can not be conveyed on DART or Commuter trains unless folded and suitably covered. On Intercity trains bicycles not folded and covered can be conveyed in the guards compartment or the special cycle racks where provided. A valid ticket for the bicycle must be obtained before travelling.

Please check at your local station before travelling.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

How exactly does covering make it less of a space problem?

And is it to much to suggest that the railcars get four of the seats removed and voila you've got a bike park?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Red Alert wrote:
    How exactly does covering make it less of a space problem?
    I'm guessing it may be a public liability thing, or maybe a cleanliness thing. No pointy bits for people to hurt themselves on, and no oil to go on the walls.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

daymobrew wrote:
    We can all dream of the bike carriages that Caltrain has in San Francisco Bay area (between SF and San Jose). Double decker trains. Of course, for Caltrain, if you can't get a seat it's an exception :p

I was thinking exactly that, they even heavily advertise and promote the service.

Incredible service, very fast, clean, efficient service with fantastic double deckers. IR could learn a great deal from these guys.

Unfortunately it is completely wasted in the US, I was shocked when I travelled on it for two weeks during commuting times from SF and it was nearly empty!!

bk wrote:
    Unfortunately it is completely wasted in the US, I was shocked when I travelled on it for two weeks during commuting times from SF and it was nearly empty!!
    From my experience with the early days of the service (1998-2001) I'd disagree. Cyclists were often turned away because the bike car was full (they limit it to 24 bikes). I guess it is used more now - some trains have two bike cars.

Yes, IR could learn a lot. I suggested the individual lockers to IR (Michael Power IIIRC). They would ensure security of bikes left at stations. The lockers cost $33 for 6 months. Quite a good price for security.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

In Toronto they were demonstrating what a new light rail car might be like using a Bombardier Flexity in Minneapolis colours - and it had an internal bike space. Bike racks are also being fitted to the front of buses on some routes.

dowlingm wrote:
    Bike racks are also being fitted to the front of buses on some routes.
    Copying the Bay Area on this too :p

Advertisement