Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First major project

Options
  • 29-07-2007 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

I'm about to tackle my first major project and would appreciate some advice regarding expansion and contraction in wood. My wife wants a large counter/storage unit in the garage for her gardening stuff. Rather than buy one I have decided to have a go at building one. I have the design done but am worried about expansion and contraction in the wood. I will be using 3x3 pine or deal and 1 inch ply for the shelves. The frame will be mostly half lap joints. Should these be glued, screwed or both? Should I make allowances for movement in the wood and if so, how? The unit will be 11 feet long, 3 feet wide and about 3 feet high.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

I wouldn't worry about expansion /contraction issues. You will be using plywood for the counter top and shelves and the unit will in a garage ...plywood is very dimensionally stable in these circumstances. The 3x stock will have minimal longitudinal expansion/contraction.
    As for the joints I'd be inclined to glue and screw unless you have loads of clamps and don't like screws in the face work, but hey it's gonna be in the garage ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭rstans

Thanks. I'll let you know how I get on. If this works, next step is furniture. Need a coffee table.......................

Advertisement