Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Laptop

Options
  • 28-07-2007 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭

Ok so gettin a new laptop either today or tomorrow so i have narrowed it down to these 2 will be ordering it today or tomorrow so an opinion asap would be nice and helpful
    XPS M1330
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7100 Processor (1.8GHz,800MHz,2MB L2 cache)
    Windows Vista™ Home Premium
    Tuxedo Black & 2.0 mega pixel Camera for CCFL Display
    LCD 13.3" UltraSharp™ WXGA (1280x800) CCFL Display with TrueLife™
    MEMORY 2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
    HARD DRIVE 120GB
    GRAPHICS CARD 128 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8400M GS
    OPTICAL DRIVE Fixed 8x DVD+/-RW
    PRIMARY BATTERY Primary 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery
    €1457

or
    Inspirion 1720
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7100 Processor (1.8GHz,800MHz,2MB L2 cache)Windows Vista™ Home Premium
    Jet Black Colour with Matte Finish & 2.0mp camera edit
    LCD 17.0" Widescreen WXGA+ (1440x900) TFT Display with TrueLife™
    MEMORY 2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024]
    HARD DRIVE 160GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive
    GRAPHICS CARD nVidia® GeForce™ Go 8600M GT with 256MB DDR2 dedicated graphic memory
    Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive
    PRIMARY BATTERY Primary 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery (85 WHr)
    €1477

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The smaller one is better if you have to be portable. The bigger one is better if you don't. Its also faster for games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

well portability aint the main thing im looking for its just once its smaller than a desktop and able to handle a few games. The main Reason i need a laptop is because where im living is not the biggest and a desktop will take up too much space

• Registered Users Posts: 30,035 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

two pretty different laptops to be choosing between.

Would prefer the smaller one myself, normally pay more for portability, if you won't be moving it around too much the bigger one might be more useful to you

If you are gaming it comes down to 8400M GS vs 8600M GT theres a big difference between them. A 7900GS is still quicker than either. For gaming you always want the better gfx card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

id get the 1330 but thats just me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭kifi

get the lighter one, the one thing that annoys me about my lappy is it's weight and it doesnt ever leave the house!!

I went with a 17" 9400 at home because I love having big screens and a decent gfx card. I don't find the weight a problem, moving from room to room or to the car. I wouldn't want to travel on foot a long distance with it. I don't find it heavy though. I'd just be worried about damaging it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

There's another thread on here about the 1330. Dell seem to be having some difficulty keeping up with demand so that might be an issue for you.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

BostonB wrote:
    I went with a 17" 9400 at home because I love having big screens and a decent gfx card. I don't find the weight a problem, moving from room to room or to the car. I wouldn't want to travel on foot a long distance with it. I don't find it heavy though. I'd just be worried about damaging it.

I have the same as you. I have a back pack for mine and don't even notice the weight which is great because I was a little worried about it when I was ordering it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

There's another thread on here about the 1330. Dell seem to be having some difficulty keeping up with demand so that might be an issue for you.

im afraid its not just the 1330 theyre having problems with,they cant meet demand on any of their notebooks due to a shortage of screens i believe although there are lots of different rumours floating about online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

well went for the 1720 cause i like a nice big screen and games.
    got 2 gig processor instead but the rest was the same as above.

So ordered it and was given a delivery date of the 9/09/07 what the hell seriously thats got to be wrong a month and a half away hell no ill cancel my order that surely cannot be right is something seriously wrong with dell at the moment or are they just not giving dates that there is a chance they cant stick to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Cassiel

Oh! oh! cancel! Have you seen this?!?

On adverts.ie: 17" HP with HD-DVD

Can't afford it myself, but it's not too far off your budget.

Advertisement