Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballycullen/Firhouse to Grafton Street, Dublin - Cycle/Luas/Other?

Options
  • 28-07-2007 2:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

I'm likely find a house in Ballycullen, having found it a wonderful area for family living. Only problem is my work for half the week will be based at TCD in Dublin's centre. I've worked out the distance by road to be about 8 miles. I'd take the LUAS, except a 45 min journey + however long it takes to get to Tallaght reminds me too much of the sort of commute I'm escaping from here in London, by coming to Ireland.

I was considering a motorbike, but not sure I can manage the outgoings. So how about cycling? I've previously managed a 6mile commute without much trouble in London, but I'm unsure of how easy it is to cycle in Dublin.

It's looking like up Firhouse Road, then joining the N81 at Terenure, and into the Town Centre. I'd imagine it would take about 40 mins? Anyone have any comments?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Saracen wrote:
    I'm likely find a house in Ballycullen, having found it a wonderful area for family living. Only problem is my work for half the week will be based at TCD in Dublin's centre. I've worked out the distance by road to be about 8 miles. I'd take the LUAS, except a 45 min journey + however long it takes to get to Tallaght reminds me too much of the sort of commute I'm escaping from here in London, by coming to Ireland.

I was considering a motorbike, but not sure I can manage the outgoings. So how about cycling? I've previously managed a 6mile commute without much trouble in London, but I'm unsure of how easy it is to cycle in Dublin.

It's looking like up Firhouse Road, then joining the N81 at Terenure, and into the Town Centre. I'd imagine it would take about 40 mins? Anyone have any comments?

Thanks.

Its a gentle downhill into town, and a gentle uphill out of town. Going to TCD, it would probably make more sense to go via Rathmines rather than take the N81. A friend of mine regularly cycled from Knocklyon to Bolton St, said it took him about 30mins, so 40 to TCD should be plenty of time.

Another option, depending on how far up ballcullen road you are, would be the 49 bus into town - it stops at the central bank, which is perfect for TCD. Normally takes about 45 mins(ish).

Forget about the red luas, it'll take you almost as long to get to tallaght in the morning (if not cycling) as it will to get into town, and it takes about 50 mins from tallaght, and it leaves you on abbey street. Bus or cycle are probably your best bets.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

Saracen

I used to cycle most of this route from TCD to Tallaght. Going in to town will be a doddle - roads are ok, not great, but it is down-hill all the way. Of course that means that it is up-hill all the way out of town and add to that the prevailing winds will be against you all of the way home it can get a little depressing. In good weather i'd say 30ish mins in and 45 mins home. In SW windy weather I'd make it the guts of an hour to get home.....

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Indeed, cycle or motorcycle are your best options. I cycle from Lucan into Harcourt street most days, that's about 8 miles. You get used to it very quickly. 99% of the time the wind is coming from the West-Southwest, so the inward journey is grand, but there's a bit of resistance on the outward journey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Saracen

I so want to motorcycle, but the costs, and my need to chop my gut down a bit are telling me to cycle. It's funny when you work out that the cost of a road cycle is less than two months' running costs for a motorbike, but the adrenaline difference is too great to ignore.

The uphill journey home is a little off-putting. I'd rather cycle uphill in the morning.

maxheadroom, any idea how long the 49 takes from around the Parklands estate? Maybe I could do some days bus others cycle. More of a general point, how crowded are busses at rush hour. and what are the rush-hour times, so that I can maybe plan a working day that avoids them.

The other days of work will be spent in Citywest, anyone know how reasonable it is to cycle there?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Saracen wrote:
    The uphill journey home is a little off-putting. I'd rather cycle uphill in the morning.

If you're reasonably used to cycling it won't be too bad - its not steep, just constant.
    Saracen wrote:
    maxheadroom, any idea how long the 49 takes from around the Parklands estate? Maybe I could do some days bus others cycle. More of a general point, how crowded are busses at rush hour. and what are the rush-hour times, so that I can maybe plan a working day that avoids them.

I rarely take the 49, I live closer to the 15, but the odd time I do take it its fairly full going into town during rush hour. From parklands you'll probably be getting on near the school in firhouse, so you'll be getting on before the big stop at woodstown, which is always crowded.

Rush hour is anywhere from 0730 to 0900 getting on in firhouse, coming home from town anywhere from 1700 to 1830 - you'd be better walking across to Eden quay and getting on at the terminus on the way home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,014 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

My folks now live in Firhouse and I find that the 49 can take 45 minutes to from the Speaker pub during the day off peak and I would imagine about an hour in the peak. I would also recommend walking to Eden Quay in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

How about buying a moped? They are cheap and you can drive it on your B licence. Also it'd be as quick as a mototrbike in rush hour and way faster then the bus or cycling. Saves the legs on the cycle home also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Del2005 wrote:
    How about buying a moped? They are cheap and you can drive it on your B licence. Also it'd be as quick as a mototrbike in rush hour and way faster then the bus or cycling. Saves the legs on the cycle home also

I agree I travel from Ballycullen to the Docks each morning, I travel on a moped - you can get a second hand one for around €1000 or less, v cheap to run about €6 a week on petrol, €37 on tax, insurance varies get 3rd party. It takes me around 30 mins each way and would not travel it any other way to be honest.
    There are 2 new buses going as well the 74 and 74A which have 3 buses in the morning and 3 in the evening. I believe they are to go all day soon and there is also the 49 as mentioned above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

the 49 is a very inconsistent bus, i mean it arrives close to the same time every morning, but because of the route it takes traffic can be either heavy or light.. i used to get it every day for a year. got on in firhouse about 7.15 for 9 o'clock start in bolton street. some mornings (mainly tuesdays) id get in to town bout 8.40-8.50, but some other mornings would get in as early as 8.00. very annoying. (if you were thinking bout getting the bus, thurs and friday are best, least amount of traffic)

so i bought a heap of junk bike and started cycling. took 25-30 mins in the way in, and bout 45 mins home. been doing it for 4 years now, bought a decent lightweight road bike and journey is down to 20 mins in and 25-30 mins home.

another thing i like about cycling is the fact that when i leave work, i get on the bike and go home. No walking for 15 mins to the bus stop and waiting up to 40 mins for the bus. the distance from firhouse is about 7 miles, so similar to the OP's commute in london.

one more thing to bear in mind, its very gently downhill on the way into town as mentioned before, but also, the wind is 95% of the time behind you. comin home is a bit tough witht the slight uphill on a windy day, but you'll pass about 3 or 4 49's stuck in traffic which is always a nice feeling.

good luck

Advertisement