Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting of Affordable Housing

Options
  • 27-07-2007 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭

It's pretty clear that the renting out of affordable housing is not permitted.

9.—(1) In this section “purchaser” means a person to whom an affordable house is sold under this Part.

(2) Where an affordable house is made available for sale in accordance with this Part, the sale of the house to the purchaser shall, subject to subsection (3), be subject to any terms and conditions that the housing authority may specify, including terms and conditions relating to:

(a) notification of the housing authority by the purchaser of the proposed resale of the house;

(b) the occupation of the house by the purchaser.

My query is does this apply for the full 20 years of the scheme. I mean if I take an affordable house do I have to commit to living in the same house for 20 years. I know I could see, but that would incur the costs of selling and the loss of my first time buyers status. I'm not talking about renting for profit as such, but I am 25, what if I want to go to Australia for a year, maybe work abroad, get a job in another part of the country. If one of these scenarios came up am I really expected to sell ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

AFAIK, you can "buy" the local authority out at any time (at current market value) by paying the clawback (if any). Essentially you are selling the house to yourself. Then you can do whatever you like with the property. Until you do that though you are bound by the affordable housing contract which includes not being able to rent it out.

Advertisement