Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting with gerbils?

Options
  • 27-07-2007 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I recently got 2 pet gerbils, my current landlord doesn't know I have them but I am looking for a new house. When moving into a new house should I mention I have gerbils or should I just keep quiet? They are about the size of hamsters, make little noise and no smell and they live in a cage, would most landlords be ok with them?

Thanks

Nala

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

i find the best thing is - if they dont ask ,you dont tell.

it works for landlords when they want to rent you the gaff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Well it's only by accident (housemate stuck his head in the door instead of knocking!) that anyone else in the house even knows I have them. I mean they're gerbils, not german shepherds.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

yea but put it this way - if he landlord happens to be checkin the house and sees them(maybe they escape from cage or whatever) and kills them or anything else- whats going to happen then?? you can't really give out to him for not knowing that a) there urs or b) what they were...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Dunno abour gerbils, but when my family had a hamster 10 or so years back, it kept escaping its cage. My dad often found it in the kitchen, in the morning, out of its cage. So unless you use a lock and key, they may try to escape.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

To be honest- most landlords would choose tenants without pets out of choice. If he/she doesn't ask, don't tell them...... I've even had turtles that escaped on me- and don't get me started on rabbits.......

• Advertisement
Advertisement