Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sid Waddell - Love him or Hate him?

Options
  • 27-07-2007 10:36am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What do you lot think of the famous Sid Wadell?

I used to really like the guy. Some of the things he comes out with are very funny but these days he really annoys me. He is almost like a propaganda machine for Taylor, Barney and the PDC. I don't think he gives the other players the respect they deserve.

For example the other night he claimed that Barney was never a great player and only became great when he moved the PDC because he was playing easy players in the BDO. This is totally unfair on the likes of Mason, Mardle, Baxter, King, Scholten, Steve Beaton etc who all played in the BDO when Barney did.

Also all Sid does now is repeat himself. He says the same thing over and over during a match, he mentions Taylor every single match, the averages Taylor gets and so on. teh man just drives me insane at this stage.

So what do you think if Sid?

I might make another Poll too to see who is your favourite commentator.

Sid Wadell - Love him or Hate him? 57 votes

Love him - He is a legend
    0% 0 votes
    Hate him - He drives me mad
    56% 32 votes
    He is bearable
    43% 25 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

He has become a parody of himself. Every time I hear 'undah stackahh and ovah stackahh' I want to smash my telly. This thing aswell of saying that Barney is "copying" Taylors shots is insulting. Prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

Nice fella enough to talk to in person but the f*cking commentary drives me up the walls. I've thinking of starting to mute the tv when he's doing a match now. How many times does he need to say world champion in one match ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 thegaffer

i just block him out at this stage though he is funny to listen too in very short doses. Most of what he says is just rubbish but he does add something to darts. I'd never take him seriously though you just can't

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭big dar

Dont know if you guys remember the final taylor won a few years ago when he called the three commentators onstage to give them a dart each. Well the look on waddells face was truly scary. I thought he was going to lick his shoes or something. And as for this barney copying taylors shots what a load of sh**e. I wonder if during his next commentary he finds something in james wades game that he copied from taylor to explain his recent success

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

The only thing Sid Waddell talks about is Phil Taylor. It's Taylor this and Taylor that. No matter who is playing in a match that he is commentating on he will always mention Taylor and stacking and whateer average Taylor managed to get the night before. He drives me mad. I think it's time he retired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Kingp35 wrote:
    The only thing Sid Waddell talks about is Phil Taylor. It's Taylor this and Taylor that. No matter who is playing in a match that he is commentating on he will always mention Taylor and stacking and whateer average Taylor managed to get the night before. He drives me mad. I think it's time he retired.

I used to notice that myself, but Barney seems to have crept in aswell lately. It seems that whoever is playing and he is commentating, they aren't as good as Taylor and Barney, or if they could keep up this standard of play they could beat Taylor or Barney. Its nearly the same level of arse-licking that Dunphy did to Keane.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

He's so far up Tayolrs rather generously sized posterior it's sickening. As someone said he can hardly go one match without mentioning him at least once. Unfair on the other players.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

AndyP wrote:
    He has become a parody of himself. Every time I hear 'undah stackahh and ovah stackahh' I want to smash my telly. This thing aswell of saying that Barney is "copying" Taylors shots is insulting. Prick.

QFT.

He really is at a stage now where he is annoying and no longer funny or witty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 PatF

Yeah - I used to think he was damn funny but it's gone a bit stale now - he seems to be trying to get the one liners out now by slotting in rehearsed lines rather than spur of the moment stuff. eg as wet as a hippo in a shower wtf ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

Cannot stand the man:mad: ..Taylor this, Taylor that..Even commentating on a Barney match, he probably mentions Taylors name more than Barneys..

LOL..I have read the other posts now after writing this and see I have nearly copied KingP35 word for word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭The Bull

hes a ballox, Hes so far up taylors rear end it a wonder he can walk at all, one thing that does stand out was when he was calling last years final against barney,he keep on about taylor this taylor that, then when berney was matchin him and getting the better of taylor he starts piping on about how barney had copied/stolen taylor stacking and he was winning cause of taylors stackin which he had modified into his game.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭dubdarts

hes a wanker - end of story:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

the worst thing i hate about him is if somebody is beating taylor ,taylor is playing bad it's never that the other player is playing good and he does lick taylors arse quite a bit but he's still better than that new commentator that started at the premier league this year nigel something or other the worst commentator i have ever heard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 TommyWam

Ive played darts for 33 years and im sick of watching darts with no sound on when sid waddal is commentating he just talks an absolute load of crap, it like theres only one player exists: PHILL TAYLOR!

any body who knows anything about darts should know that Sid Waddal talks through his arse. He makes my blood boil surely sky should sort out this poor excuse for a commentator, theres surely some one a lot better than him who can actually talk about darts properly instead of viewers having to put up with his ****. He ruins watching darts for people who really enjoy it.

HATE HIM.. sky needs to sort it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

Great thread Kingp, I find him just about bearable, it's true that he wrecks most people's head with his 24/7 Taylor loving. But when he isn't talking about Taylor I find him entertaining with his strange usage of words. Really interesting character.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭hawkwing

He's a complete pain in the hole, even if he was talking sense that ridiculous squealing voice would be still annoying.A Taylor 180 drives him crazy but anyone else's doesn't matter!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

He is a moronic imbacile.
    I cant stand him waffling away in his own Neanderthal dialect.
    I'd love to give him a good kick in the bollicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 DonkeyPunch

I like Sid. He makes me laugh. Also, it's good for non darts enthusiests, they usually enjoy his wit and bizare use of the English language. I was at the final last night, so disn't hear what he was saying. I'll catch it at lunch time though. Come on The Powaa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

I like Sid but he does tend to go on a bit. I bought his book at the Grand prix and got him to sign it so it should be an interesting read and insight into the game particularly the split.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

He's a laugh..
    It is getting a bit stale I agree but I think we would miss him if he retires.
    Saw him on soccer am, he can't even throw a dart.
    Has been part of the scene for so long now it would be sad to see him go in a way. That John Gwyne guy is far more entertaining these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Diggy78

Can't agree with anyone slating him, there's a reason there are 2 commentators. Everyone knows that Sid is only there for entertainment reasons, and if you accept that then you can just sit back and enjoy. Why wouldn't he constantly compare everyone to Taylor? Taylor is the Benchmark after all, no?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Diggy78 wrote: »
    Why wouldn't he constantly compare everyone to Taylor? Taylor is the Benchmark after all, no?

Yes he is the benchmark but Sid almost acts as Taylors PR agent he waffles on about him so much. He never really talks about other players and anything Taylor does tends to be brilliant whereas if anothe rplayer did the same thing Sid might not say anything about it all. Yes some of things he says are entertaining but he needs to stop the Taylor love in!

He beats Rod Harrington anyway, Nigel Pearson ain't much better. In my opinion Eric Bristow is the best co-commentator, great insight into the game and a great counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭DFD

john part does a great job for the bbc when they get him in.Sky should get him to do a few when his not playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

Part was top notch when he was commentating,Harrington is another headwrecker with all the advice in the world even though its 99% common sense.

If sid was unbiased and threw as much energy into the individual games as he does for any of Taylor's matches he would be great to listen too IF you can forgive his bizzare use of the English language .

Part is a quality commentator, I don't think he commentated on the BDO finals last time out as it was somewhat frowned upon by the powers that be that the PDC world champion was associated with the BDO. Could be wrong but don't recall him on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭DFD

I think he only commentates when his knocked out of the pdc world championship but as we know he went all the way this time.both championships run more or less the same time.

Off topic, but am 50 pages into Sid's book, boy could Leighton Rees throw darts, some of the stats are incredible, considering he was drunk, essentially an amatuer, using darts made in the 70's throwing on boards made in the 70's. He hit a 10 dart leg during the first world championships. Good read so far and haven't even got to the split yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 inkred

Watching him live right now it's obvious the other commentators can't stand him. John Gwynne, Stuart Pike and Rod Harrington all commentate on what's happening instead of Sid reading his script and now and then noticing the game that's actually going on. Worst of all, he mumbles. On the plus side, that means you can't hear a lot of the s**t he is coming out with. He keeps droning on about how the game has changed and there he is like a dinosaur from the days of World of Sport and Fred Trueman's Indoor League. THE MAN HAS TO GO!

I'll sithee

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Daffy501

get rid of him , drives me nuts !! am at the point where i dont want to watch a match he is commentating on :mad:
    Every second word out of his gob is"Taylor" and thats even when Taylor isnt playing !!
    We all know Taylor is the benchmark but dont need reminding of it every single bloody time there is darts on the tv

Advertisement