Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent!

Options
  • 26-07-2007 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

HI all. I am looking for a little advice with regard to sick leave/benefit.
    My husband is having a really bad time at work at the moment. The company he works for is really small. the guy who owns the company has been really taking advantage of my husband over the past number of years and it's all coming to a head. As his boss is off again on yet another extended holiday hubby is left to run his company (at no extra charge)This is not the issue. Things have got really heavy over the past week. His boss is in constant email/phone contact, but is very abusive towards him when things are not going right. I might add that the only problems that occur are only a result of the boss being away for so long.

To cut a long story short. My hubby is on the verge of a breakdown. He already fears that the company is going under from the amount of unpaid invoices and rubber cheques inc. wages. He can not take the level of abuse any more. The screaming at him down a phone and the insults. He is after all trying to keep this company afloat with limited resource while the boss is off on vacation. Yet again! Paid for by the company no less.

What can hubby do? Physically and mentally he is not fit for work but what is he entitled to in sick pay? Or how does he get it? As it is a job related illness does it make any difference? How much is sick pay? We have a morgage to pay and a family.

I am really worried about him after today!:( He says it would not be fair for him to go out sick as it would pass all the pressure on to the other guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Sick pay wont be very much. I'ts means tested on the amount of dependants and other income going into the household.
    Would he not just try to find another job.
    He could have a wrongful dismissal case even if he leaves himself afaik but he will have to prove he was forced out, and the verbal abuse could be a factor on this. You would really need a solicitor if you want to go down that road.
    At the end of the day a persons health is the most important thing they have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

If hes satisfied the conditions he could get illness benefit (not based on a means test but on the contributions he has paid - check out www.welfare.ie for more info)

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

This is an ugly situation but not so uncommon as people might think.

The first priority is actually your husband's health.

Your husband's first port of call is to his doctor for a proper medical evaluation of his health. Go with him. Men do have a little problem admitting to inability to cope and are sometimes reluctant to give a comprehensive history which puts the doctor at a disadvantage.

When you see what the doctor says you determine your next step which may well be to see a solicitor if only for advice on how to act to protect his rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Urban Fox that is very sound advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 whoyou

Get onto the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment, Labour Relations Commission Section as regards his employee rights.

But as was mentioned already, get to a doctor for some medical advice first, his health is more important than upset workmates.

• Advertisement
Advertisement