Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

neighbours parking in my space

Options
  • 26-07-2007 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭

hi all, not sure where i stand on this one
    am renting an apartment with a designated numbered parking space. all the apartments in the complex are 2 bedroomed but only have one parking space. there are very few "visitor" spaces. often, the neighbours or their visitors park in my space. they have been there overnight sometimes. now, this really really bugs me. in my opinion, as i am renting it, i effectively own that space, ie it is private property. there are a few different cars involved. everytime its happened ive left a note on their windscreen saying that it is private property, please dont park here again, and to be fair, most of them havent been repeat offenders, but there often seems to be some new muppet coming along parking there. im wondering if i am entitled to call a tow truck and get the car towed if its in my space?? i know i might come across as cranky, but really it is not on. where do they expect me to park while they happily take up my space? grrrrrr!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

I think a tow truck might be a little OTT is the space clearly numbered?

I would have a chat to your landlord about it.

Your right though it is your space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

yep, space is clearly numbered, as are all the spaces including the (scarce) visitor ones. i know it seems ott , but it gets very frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Purchase a cone and place a sign on top of it saying Reserved for Resident parking, or something equivalent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭madson

my sister has the same problem and she just blocks them in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

ask the landlord to install one of those locking barrier things...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I just used to block them in. Or wallop their doors to set their alarms off and once they come out say 'by the way that's my space so shift'. I know how it can drive you crazy believe me. My space just happened to be the mose conveniently located for the front door so it was regularly occupied by other people.

If there is a management company you can try to get them involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Block them in or call the towing company. The management company will have a towing company for illegal parking.

unfortunately cant block them in as am in the middle row so they can either drive straight out or reverse out. id need two cars to block them in. like the idea of a cone though, the hassle of them having to get out and move it might be a deterrant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

next time it happens knock on your neighbours door and tell them to move or the tow truck will be called. If they don't move it call the tow truck won't happen again.

Is there any way of getting one of those barriers that you padlock into the space so that no one can use it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

You can buy a clamp from argos. Carry it in your boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Get one of these.

Picture of it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,944 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Boston wrote:
    You can buy a clamp from argos. Carry it in your boot.

That sort of defeats the purpose of having a parking space.

OP, if there are couple of you, you could bounce the car out of the space. Leave it in the middle of the road and call the management company.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Is it the same neighbour each time?
    We had a similar issue - except, it was a commercial vechicle across our drive blocking our cars in each night.

Wait until 11.30pm, when their light goes out then knock on the door and get them to please move it.

In your case, I would knock on the door and ask them to move the car as you want to park in your driving space. Keep doing this each time they park in your space and they will soon piss off and park elsewhere.

its generally a different person each time. i dont know if its neighbours or their visitors, and i cant always identify the owner, so cant go knocking on doors. sometimes i come home from work and theres someone parked there but ive no idea which apartment theyre in.
    think i'll get onto the management company about those barrier yokes...
    ps anyone know how u cantact the tow company? is there a national number or is it private people in each area?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

If you create enough of a fuss the management company should do something about it. In my building there was such a problem with unauthorised parking that the management company made it mandatory to register your car with them and get a permit for that car. They now do periodical checks on the cars parked in the carpark and will clamp any car which is unauthorised. Not only that but they charge for the clamping and releasing.
    In the meantime get a chair or cone or something else with a sign on it saying that the space is in use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

there is a sign shop on capel street(also sells illuminous jackets and hard hats and things) im sure they could do up a metal sign saying "reserved no parking" so you could stick it in on the wall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Sam, have you a car yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

It sounds like he does...
    sam34 wrote:
    where do they expect me to park while they happily take up my space? grrrrrr!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

my bad, sorry :)

Even still, the advice I was going to give you was that you could find out who's parking there, and knock into them with something along the lines of "I notice you need to use my parking space quite regularly, so how about I just rent it to you?"

maybe if you want to dissuade them, set the rent at a grand a month!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Get a sign saying "Private Parking, offenders will be towed".

It wouldn't be excessive getting them towed because they would have consciously made a decision to ignore the sign, and would have to deal with the consequences.

You're dead right to be angry!

yep, i do have a car. id say i'll have to go down the route of putting up a sign or a cone, as i cant always find out who is in my space, unless i mount a 24 hr watch out my living room window!
    does anyone know how to contact a towing company?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 339 ✭✭mastermind2005

"set the rent at a grand a month":p no seriously i do like the idea of that chap walloping the door to set the alarm off then telling him to shift!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

John_Mc wrote:
    Get a sign saying "Private Parking, offenders will be towed".
    This is what I would do....

so where do you park if your space is occupied

[QUOTE
    so where do you park if your space is occupied[/QUOTE]

i park on the footpath around the building, which i dont like doing. and there are double yellow lines all around there. should be grateful i suppose that its istill inside the apartment complex and not outside on the main road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

The easiest solution is to get a removable bollard, ideally it would be paid for by the landlord.

If the management company does not have clamping in place - you have to pay the likes of NCPS a yearly fee before they'll clamp in your complex - then there is very little they can do apart from threaten the offenders.

Ideally each car space would have a car registered to that space, but it's nearly impossible to keep a list anyway up-to-date, as people change their cars nearly as often as they do their underwear.

I've come across situations where car space owners have blocked in cars, confronted offenders with verbal or physical abuse, or where the owner has damaged the offending car.

One guy last week sealed an offending car's driver door closed with super glue. This is not advisable.

Removable bollard ftw, oh and get the landlord involved as it will continue to be a problem.

Advertisement