Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meditation techniques

Options
  • 26-07-2007 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hello, just from reading the posts here some of you mention that you meditate. I would like to do the same, to maybe try and develop any 'sixth sense' I have. I've done a bit of research on the net and tried out a few things but didn't really get anything from them. Would any of you folks be willing to share any tips with me?

I do yoga so I've just been trying the breathing/relaxation techniques to hopefully reach Alpha state?
    Other methods I've read say to practice yogic-type deep breathing for about 5 mins, then to imagine your body feeling heavy with the weight then slowly lifting off you, to then envision a purple light around your head and to close your eyes and to try to imagine what your third eye looks like. You then should attempt to move to the next level by imagining yourself walking along and finding yourself at a bridge and trying to imagine who or what is on the other side of the bridge? Something along those lines anyway.

I do find it easy to make myself settle and block out everything around me and can use my imagination to walk me through the steps but I just feel sometimes that I hit a block or that I'm not really feeling whats happening in my head. I have been told before that both sides of my family are 'sensitive' and that I should try to develop my own ability. A friend of mind died a while ago and I still feel a great loss over this and never got to say goodbye. Maybe I'm just trying to give myself peace of mind by working on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

I found that one of the main things that was blocking me from getting anywhere in meditation was the very idea that I wanted to get somewhere. Now I just do it to relax or pass some time.

I'd advise you try many different techniques but to mix and match and suit yourself.

Or make a Dream Machine! :p
    http://www.noah.org/science/dreamachine/

Read on various breathing techniques, postural shifts, singing, playing music, listening to music, rhythmic dance. There's even walking meditation, lying down meditation. Or if you're feeling adventurous try out the death posture. Tantra is also an interesting one. Thinking is also a form of meditation. Scrying into a mirror or preferably dark liquid can also be used.

You could make your own mandala. They are used to focus your mind.
    Some nice ones here:
    http://www.lovestarrecords.com/dreampeace/erial/mandalas_frameset.html
    and here:
    http://www.mandalas.com/

Most importantly have fun!

Good luck.

Advertisement