Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Car

Options
  • 26-07-2007 1:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi
    Can anyone please help me? I will be comin gto Ireland by the end of this month. Tentative date is 29th of July for 2 months. can someone please recommend me where I can rent a SMART CAR in Ireland.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,957 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'd have to ask - why? unless you're a masochist

If they're available anywhere, they're unlikely to be cheaper to rent than a standard small car and probably will be dearer

Not cheaper to park and not allowed to park anywhere an ordinary car isn't - unlike some countries. So no advantage to having one.

That's not the way it should be, just the way it is.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I'd have to ask - why? unless you're a masochist

Ever driven one?

60 mpg with petrol at the price it is would seem like a good reason. Also, easy to park, nippy in heavy traffic, cruise at 120kmph no problem, stylish, fun - lots of reasons to rent one of these.

Plus they aren't a Nissan Micra which is probably the rental 'equivalent'.
    OP can't help you with rental - not too many around - I know Sixt do them in Italy and Germany - but Ireland sadly not

• Registered Users Posts: 33,957 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It might cruise at 120km/h "no problem" but I know what I'd rather be in TYVM - even my wife's previous 1.0 Corsa would have been much preferable and safer imho.

If I wanted 60mpg I'd get a smaller motorbike :)
    Unless you're doing big big mileage, and in Ireland in a car that's really not a fun way to spend a holiday, fuel consumption is going to be far less of an issue than the rental fee anyway.
    Rental fees don't increase much as you go up the classes, a couple of years ago I rented a Corolla for a week and it cost only slightly more than a Yaris/Punto and not very much more than a Micra, and given that this involved a return Dublin-Cork trip as well as a good bit of local mileage, the extra was well worth it. Rental of small cars is way overpriced here, bigger cars are less overpriced.

How is a Smart going to accommodate tourists' luggage anyway?

Smarts only really make sense in city centre use and when parking concessions are provided. But tourists are likely to be much better off using public transport in cities - even Dublin.

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭WhiteAp

ninja900 wrote:
    It might cruise at 120km/h "no problem" but I know what I'd rather be in TYVM - even my wife's previous 1.0 Corsa would have been much preferable and safer imho.

Would be so sure about the "safer" part. Check this out: Smart Crash Test

Used to have one when living Germany, really nice to drive and loads of legroom even if you are over 6ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Citroen C1 will do better mpg that 60, is light to drive, nippy etc plus they have two more seats than a Smart. And you can get them from hire car companies

• Advertisement
Advertisement