Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voldemort = The New Darth Vader?

Options
  • 25-07-2007 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭

When I was young Darth Vader was the ultimate bad guy and I loved him for it (still one of my fav movie characters hence the avatar). Now a new generation of young 'uns have Harry Potter. Is Voldemort cool enough to be new Darth or does he lack what it takes. For my two cents I just think he is too evil. DV displayed some humanity in the final film whereas Voldemort is just plain bad.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

Voldy lacks a never-out-of-fashion suit

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

and he totally lacks the presence... unless you count one kid gettin a headache whenever he's around... darth had the breathing thing...

has breathing ever sounded so menacing before?!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

has anyone in star wars been afraid to say vadors name?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

has anyone in star wars been afraid to say vadors name?

Good argument but think The Bollox nailed it on the head. The cool helmet wins hands down closely followed by breathing.

also, voldemort wasnt *that* scary to look at (assuming we're talking about the films)... ugly... but not especially creepy...

admittedly, havent seen the new film yet, but still... vader is a creepy lookin dude... in my head, the dementors are infiinitely creepier to look at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Robbiethe3rd

I wasnt actually thinking that directly but I was thinking that the Harry Potter series is quite like the star wars series (the old ones) regarding the effect its had on the public

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

I wasnt actually thinking that directly but I was thinking that the Harry Potter series is quite like the star wars series (the old ones) regarding the effect its had on the public
    lol

Sirius: "Dumbledore never told you what happened to your Godfather"
    Harry: "he told me enough, he told me YOU betrayed him"
    Sirius: "no, Harry, I am your Godfather"
    Harry: "no... that's not true, that's IMPOSSIBLE!"
    Sirius: "search the photo album, you KNOW this to be true!"
    Harry: "NO!!!... NO!!!! NO!!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

for the third film they should have played the star wars tune for that bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

I think Voldemort has presence in the Films, due entirely to Ralph Finnes of course.

However, when you really think about it, Star Wars is really Anakin's story (maybe not as much in episodes 4-6), where as Voldemort is just there to antagonise Harry's character.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Lorr

narco wrote:
    also, voldemort wasnt *that* scary to look at (assuming we're talking about the films)... ugly... but not especially creepy...

admittedly, havent seen the new film yet, but still... vader is a creepy lookin dude... in my head, the dementors are infiinitely creepier to look at.

Voldy scares the bejaysus out of me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Voldemort is way cooler than Darth Vadar.. especially in the films, the suit Ralph Fiennes wears and the way he holds his wand. It's that kind of arraogance and air of superiority that make him cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭katarin

Id've thought Snape was the new darth vadar.
    The ultimate personal evil. And yet..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

watna wrote:
    Voldemort is way cooler than Darth Vadar.. especially in the films, the suit Ralph Fiennes wears and the way he holds his wand. It's that kind of arraogance and air of superiority that make him cool!

I thought I was the only one who noticed the way he held his wand. :)

Its so graceful, yet eerie. Great piece of casting IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I thought I was the only one who noticed the way he held his wand. :)

Its so graceful, yet eerie. Great piece of casting IMO.

I'm glad someone else agrees... he holds it really casually between his fingers like it's an extension of his hand. I found that really eerie as well. Ralph Fiennes is a fantastic Voldemort... he really gets the character.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Voldemort is the worst villain out of any popular series Iv read or watched. Voldemort is more like a henchman than an evil leader. He was even voted the worst villain ever in numerous polls :)

Comparing him to Vader is like comparing mud to honey.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Lorr

Are you mad? Voldemort is an amazing villain! He has depth to him most evil characters dont have! There is reason for his insanity unlike many villains who are just "bad". We know his back story, he had a terrible life and never knew love he's not just a baddie.

yeah, but that kinda means that there's less intrigue.

like...think of hannibal lecter... before you knew his past.. he was just a brilliant bad guy... going into his past kinda just ruined the intrigue and mystique.

Advertisement