Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this enough for this guy??

Options
  • 25-07-2007 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhcwaueyqlql/

Right here we have a guy who brutally raped a woman, pleaded guilty and only got 6 years (f**king ridiculous!) with the last 18 months suspended!!

What does he do when he gets out?? Tries it again.

In my opinion he should be locked up for life, not just 11 years.
    There should be a little commune up a mountain somewhere people like this are kept where they can knit jumpers for homeless people for the rest of their lives.

Now I know people will say he should have treatment and I respect that, but I don't think a person like this should be let out in public again. I really don't.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,170 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Well, considering murderers typically only get 10 years, I can't see how the judge could have given him any longer a sentence though I do agree that for the safety of the women of Ireland, it'd take a *very* convincing rehabilitation before I'd be inclined to let him out of prison for the rest of his natural life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

Sleepy wrote:
    Well, considering murderers typically only get 10 years, I can't see how the judge could have given him any longer a sentence though I do agree that for the safety of the women of Ireland, it'd take a *very* convincing rehabilitation before I'd be inclined to let him out of prison for the rest of his natural life.

Well yeah that's true, I didn't really think of that.
    That he only got 4 and a half years the first time just made me so upset though. It's so sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

11 years and with a guilty plea. Fairly long, there are a lot worse examples to point to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

Sleepy wrote:

Rape is worse than murder imo, murder can sometimes be an random act of rage which is later regretted. But rape is rape, there is no 2nd degree or 3rd degree rape, it is pre-meditated and the ****ers should be locked up forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Rape is worse than murder imo, murder can sometimes be an random act of rage which is later regretted. But rape is rape, there is no 2nd degree or 3rd degree rape, it is pre-meditated and the ****ers should be locked up forever.

I don't think we have that "degree" stuff here.
    hmm...is rape worse than murder? I have a cunning plan which occurred to me before during an unrelated topic! Lets ask some victims of the crimes what they think! Or maybe somone who was raped and then killed. Oh wait...
    And as for random acts of murderous rage regretted later, well I suppose the murderer can always make amends to their victim by praying for them. Yes, that should help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Sangre wrote:
    11 years and with a guilty plea. Fairly long, there are a lot worse examples to point to.

He plead not-guilty to this one, he probably thought he could get away with it since the girl was (luckily) not raped.

He violently raped, beat and threatened to kill a woman in 2000 in Letterkenny and was given 6 years with 18 months suspended because he plead guilty to that one (I assume he spend less than 4 years in jail, since he was convicted in 2003 and was obviously out to try and rape this girl in 2006 ). Clearly his time as a guest of the State didn't work as as soon as he was out he was trying to rape again.

Personally I thin it is ridiculous that a violent criminal can get so much time taken off what is already a ridiculously short sentence simply for pleading guilty in a case where there is a ton of evidence he did it in the first place. This guy couldn't have spend much more than 3 years in jail for violently beating raping and threatening to kill a woman. How does that work? It also demonstrates the dire need for rehabilitation courses or rolling assessment for release for sexual offenders in our jails since as soon as this guy was out he was raping again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

The whole system is ridiculous. It's heartbreaking, check out this from the Rape Crisis Centre ...
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0803/rape.html

As for rape being worse than murder, I don't think so, I think if given the choice I'd rather be raped than murdered ... which thankfully is a choice I've never had to make but God only knows what waits around the corner for us all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

Ok well maybe 1st degree murder is worse than rape but in my view murder can be done as a random act of madness which wasnt planned. But rape in methodical and it is planned, you dont just rape someone by accident. Thats why i think it is worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Its not enough, but I dont think any sentence is long enough when you consider the victim will always suffer the memory/aftermath of what happened to them.

Possibly sentencing needs to be adjusted to allow for open ended sentences which only end when it is considered that the risk of reoffending is low [doubtful anyone can say "this person will never ever reoffend again"]? Obviously that only fits particular types of crime - murder as an act of rage wouldnt come under such conditions but sexual predators definitly should.

There is the possibility that victims of criminals released from custody will start to sue the agencies that released those criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

With an inadequate sentence given for a recidivist like this it's not hard to figure out why many rapes go unreported in this Country.

There should be longer sentences for rape with release being dependent on the prisoner being assessed all the way through to determine whether they are likely to reoffend or not. If you are considered a low risk to reoffend and then go on to commit a further rape or sexual assault. I think a life sentence is justified at this point as you've had your chance at rehabilitation and blown it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 JacobM

fly_agaric wrote:
    I don't think we have that "degree" stuff here.
    hmm...is rape worse than murder? I have a cunning plan which occurred to me before during an unrelated topic! Lets ask some victims of the crimes what they think! Or maybe somone who was raped and then killed. Oh wait...
    And as for random acts of murderous rage regretted later, well I suppose the murderer can always make amends to their victim by praying for them. Yes, that should help.

Logic follows, if rape was worse then murder then she would have been murdered.

I'd argue there are different degrees of rape. There's date rape like sleep-sex, there's marital rape (Catholics don't have this), there's sexual harassment as rape, statutory rape, medical rape, rape by authority. And then there's abduction rape, rape by force or restraint, miscreant assault, gang rape, multiple victim rape, rape of opportunity as in during the commission of a crime. Some people may include: sex for money, misleading relationships, premarital sex -- it may be prude but it is violating. Let's not forget prison sex and other forms of sodomy.

It's all bad and nobody likes to talk about it. The mentality that is involved is different.

This individual forced sex by threat murder and the force of assault. Again, so, he must have liked it the first time. The social atmosphere somehow allows for the goal of sex to be achieved in this way. And so a judge or jury of peers should take this into consideration.

It is different than waking from surgery lubed up with KY jelly. Both are wrong but the wrong is not parallel. In the one crime there is violence; violence is used to obtain "consensual sex". The other there is abuse of power; no one ever concedes, the force is the calculated effects of anesthesia. The one indicates perhaps some social disorder or confusion. The other is a decision made solely by an individual to abandon his post and commit devious crime. Yet the Doctor will often forgo public scrutiny by buying his way out, while the society will sooner place all responsibilities on its defective product.

Edit: I they should let him out to do it again though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Rape does not have to be premeditated.
    Some guy gets drunk, stumbles along, sees a hot girl, feels lonely, she is "unreasonable", he looses his temper, and Bam. You have all the makings of a drunken rape.
    Rape can be spur of the moment, and it can happen for all the stupid reasons that murder can.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement