Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying MacBook - Buy here or U.S?

Options
  • 25-07-2007 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I need to upgrade my laptop and I'm going to take the plunge and go for a MacBook.

The question I have is where to buy it. I could get it here in Ireland but I am going to the US in a couple of months.

Has anybody any experience of buying a laptop in the US? Is it true I would get more value over there?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Has anybody any experience of buying a laptop in the US? Is it true I would get more value over there?

While I have no experience of Macbooks, I did purchase a Windows laptop in the US a while back.

You would most certainly get better value for money over there. And let's not start the old "What if customs catch you at the airport" nonsense. Carry it in hand luggage, throw away the packaging and you will be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 WiiFallenAngel

I would get it in the U.S as it's cheaper. In a few months (maybe October) Apple will have Leopard out the upgrade of Tiger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭MDTyKe

I bought mine (Macbook) in the store in Palo Alto, CA. I tried several times in San Francisco, and I had massive trouble with using my credit card - they wouldn't take it without serious amounts of ID. They told me they take cash though, so I spent two days taking the $$ out, and I happened to be in Palo Alto, popped in, and was out in (literally) a few minutes - totally different experience.

Give it a go. I carried it in hand luggage, and left the empty box in my case. Keep in mind you can carry (Aer Lingus?) two suitcases to the US, so I took advantage of that.

Matt

Advertisement