Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Time Renting?

Options
  • 24-07-2007 10:02pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So Im 17 and currently thinking about moving out when I turn 18.

basicly I wanna move into a small one bedroom or two bedroom apartment in a different town where I will attending school! I will be in Leaving certificate year next year and thats when I plan on moving out (My school is in that town which is 25 minutes from my home) Times will be tough on cash I know but I cant live here anymore.

basicly a few Q's I wanna ask/Look outs I should know about.

1. How much of a deposit will I have to pay?

2. Is rent payed every week or month? (Optional??)

3. What bills will I have to pay? Esb? water? Rubbish?

And also is their any warnings I should be on the look out for when renting? like advice?

Dave.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

1. The deposit is usually a months rent. It has been for me anyway each place I've rented.

2. This will usually be specified in the lease and it usually depends on the place.

3. Personally I only have to pay ESB. Bins and water are included in the rent but as above it can vary!

As for advice I'd say check the place out totally before you agree to anything. Be on the look out for damp, noise, light etc. A place will most likely be shown when the light and noise are at it's best so be sure to drop back around to the area later to see if there's heavy traffic that wasn't there earlier etc.

Another thing to do when you move in is make a snag list, a list of everything damaged or worn and get the landlord to sign it. It'll help you later on when moving out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Ok thanks man!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭katieboo

Some places now require you to pay 6 weeks deposit because apparently there has been some chage in the notice a landlord has to give you to move out.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

you might be better off moving in to a house share?

It would be cheaper and bills would be shared,and there is usually a smaller deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

The bills i pay are:

ESB
    NTL
    Gas
    TV Licence
    Bin Charges
    Telephone

• Advertisement
Advertisement