Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vacuum bag for laminating to a curved surfaces

Options
  • 24-07-2007 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

Has anyone used a vacuum bag for this process?
    Does the vacuum pump run continuously until the glue cures?............Or is it easier to use clamps and a former?
    We have a project coming up that requires us to laminate plastic sheet to a number of polystyrene formers and thought this might be a quicker way to do the job.
    I have seen a couple of UK sites selling these and made a few enquiries but they won't tell you any of the potential problems.
    If it speed ups the process it maybe worth the investment for this and other projects.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

I know very little about vacuum bagging but I can give a little info.

Obviously for a random odd shape it will be the easiest way to apply a large even pressure to all surfaces, after all atmospheric pressure is very large.

You can make your own vacuum bag using something like a pool liner and the correct glue, some sort of PVC bonding contact cement.

You can create the vacuum by attaching a hose to the INLET of an air compressor, this will suck out the air. You may want to check this out a bit more though before you dive in and do it. It's definitely cheaper than a proper vacuum pump.

A good site for veneering and vacuum veneering is http://www.joewoodworker.com/

I only know about the site but I have never read much of the content.

Cheers
    Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭foamcutter

Cheers Joe,

the link you gave was very interesting. A lot of useful information. Thanks

Advertisement