Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a Clock

Options
  • 24-07-2007 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

The hobby continues with much enthusiasm and my next project will be building a wall clock. But I need advice on a couple of things which I would be grateful for your help with.

1. Where can you buy an electronic clock mechanism? I see youngsters at open days in schools making clocks from old CD's where the electronic workings are at the rear and the hands push on at the front. But where do you get these workings and I am looking for a much larger version of what those young lads were using - my clock will have a diameter of 24 inches.

2. I watched Norm in New Yankee Workshop making a sign. He used his router to engrave the words onto pine. His method was "fool-proof", printing his words onto an A4 or A3 page via the PC and then using carbon paper, etching the design onto the timber. I tried using the router using Norms method, but I didn't achieve the same result. The router kept drifting on me. Is there a smaller tool that I can use to achieve the result? Somebody mentioned a "drimil" would be better for me. Any ideas?

3. Will a mortise chisel work in an ordinary drill? I have a good drill and a drill stand and am hoping that I can use these with a mortise chisel.

Regards,

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Regarding clock mechanisms, numerals etc. there's a good thread here with a few places to try.

As for 'freehand' routing numerals onto the wood .. I'd forget it to be honest. I've tried it for larger numbers (for house numbers) and it looks awful (could be my lack of skill, as well I suppose!). You can get templates for numbers that size (approx 2-3" high) but not for smaller things like for a clock. As for using a Dremel, I'd imagine that's be even more difficult to keep under control.

If you want to use mortice chisels in an ordinary drill press, you have to get some kind of special adapter jig like this http://tinyurl.com/2tzokt

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Thank you for the links Alun. There is some really interesting information there.

Regards,

D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Oh, nearly forgot .. for the genuine Dremel tools, you can get a little mini-router attachment for them. I suppose thay could be a little more manageable than a fill-sized router, but even so I still think it'd be difficult to get a good clean result.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I've browsed ebay and the clock units can be got for pennys. One guy was selling them in hundred bags for around €50. Petes in parnell st sell the numbers, although quite expensive at about €3.50 for a set. I've made a few from a design I saw in woodturner mag, very simple. All in all, without wood your looking at a cost of about €4.50 to €6 per clock,which isn't bad.
    I must get my christmas list together;)

Advertisement