Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Kids No Pension Double Tax?

Options
  • 23-07-2007 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭

Obviously children are the future. As the Irish state does nothing to assist those who have children should we punish those who don't?

I think

[1] No pension. If your kids aren't paying taxes no pension.
    [2] Extra Taxes. You have extra money in your pocket you can afford more in tax.

A sensible idea.

MM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I don't understand your post so all I'll add is some say the government gives too much, especially single mothers where there is a high incidence of welfare fraud.

Thought you got banned last week, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Obviously children are the future. As the Irish state does nothing to assist those who have children should we punish those who don't?

Bollocks. I used to work personal accounts in a bank & saw people get child benefit every month & some OMC thing every two months.

There's far too many people on the planet as it is. Why should we encourage more?(try & think of another species of our weight with a similar population)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Eh - no! I pay enough tax as it is without having to pay more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

more taxes = bad idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭redtom

No pension. If your kids aren't paying taxes no pension

So its alright for my taxes to be used today to pay existing pensions and then I get none? riiiight...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I think

[2] Extra Taxes. You have extra money in your pocket you can afford more in tax.

A sensible idea.

MM

I think the fundamental point being missed here is a delightful suggestion that the state force peopel to have children. That's exactly what's being suggested when you cut away the notion of tax.

It is not the place of a state to tell you whether or not you should have children, it is your own self and the other partner involved.

Frankly, this is a horrifyingly retarded suggestion of the highest order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

If you're not having kids you're saving the state a heck of a lot of money in paying for education, the aforementioned child benefit payments, healthcare, and so on.

Why should one nevertheless have to pay extra tax - to actually contribute to a greater degree to raising other people's kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

So i'm 19.

I've no kids.

I can:

A) Pay more Tax
    Or
    B) Get someone pregnant.?

Oh it makes bundles of sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭redtom

Lemming wrote:
    Frankly, this is a horrifyingly retarded suggestion of the highest order

I concur and will add indubitably moronic as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

stupid idea

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Von Manstein

micmclo wrote:
    I don't understand your post so all I'll add is some say the government gives too much, especially single mothers where there is a high incidence of welfare fraud.

Thought you got banned last week, no?

Dont know your social backgrouand but Im guessing you dont come from a single parent family . if you did xou wont have wrote that!

Myself and my brother come from a single parent family and I can assure you the Irish government does not pay too much. They pay the bare minimum and not a cent more!

If anything you get paid even less the more kids you have. Its a tough, tough life coming from a single parent family. Granted they do pay a tad, tad more these days than they did a few years back but I would wish it on anybody to have to grow up on welfare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

dont think so!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Having children is a personal choice (or a lack of personal responsibility). Why on earth should someone who chooses not to have kids be punished for it?

Likewise, you suggest that a parent should have to bear the financial brunt of their kids being layabouts who don't work. At the end of the day, parents can only do so much to bring up their kids properly, every one of us could cite examples of great people who have had troublesome/lazy offspring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

The goverment here forces people to fraud the welfare system in simple terms:

Goverment
    :

A couple have a child both work... both pay single person tax and pay childminder = feck all for both with heavy mortage the maths are simple here.

Reality

Man claims single parent tax, women claims single mother plus wages gets free house which couple live in with father "not living there" both can raise child above 3rd world income.

The goverment here force reality onto people as its a state where single parents benefit rather than couples trying to raise family, change that and the future could be different.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Dont know your social backgrouand but Im guessing you dont come from a single parent family . if you did xou wont have wrote that!

Myself and my brother come from a single parent family and I can assure you the Irish government does not pay too much. They pay the bare minimum and not a cent more!

If anything you get paid even less the more kids you have. Its a tough, tough life coming from a single parent family. Granted they do pay a tad, tad more these days than they did a few years back but I would wish it on anybody to have to grow up on welfare.

Complete arse, your well rewarded you may be too greedy tho, your well rewarded for being a single parent.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

In before "Yore Ma".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

A sensible idea.

A really, really f**king stupid idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭jhegarty

So no credit for the 45 year I spent paying into the national pension fund through my taxes ?

So if thats the criteria then no taxes for people who like coke and hookers (they would not have any extra spare money)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

When are they going to introduce a tax allowance for the young single childless working man? This can compensate us for being discriminated against by the state for not already being part of a group in society thats discriminated against and already recieving tax allowances? :eek:

I feel really discriminated against because I'm not part of a discriminated social grouping and I have to pay full taxes without rent allowances or tax breaks. :(

I'd love to know where the extra money in my pocket is the op talks about.
    /me goes off to hopefully find a fiver in an old jacket in my wardrobe.

Advertisement