Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART Interconnector maps, drawings

Options
  • 22-07-2007 6:10pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Irish Rail have put up Dart Interconnector maps and station drawings in PDF here... http://www.irishrail.ie/projects/dart_underground.asp

I know Victor had photos of them up before IR had the PDFs up, but I'm not sure if the PDF links had been posted since, so there you go.

I had not seen the examples maps for Heuston and the Green before, while the Green looks to have plenty exits, Heuston with just one looks like it could do with another.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Brendan Keenan writing in today`s Sunday Independent sums it up very well indeed in an excellently written concise descriptive appreciation of modern Irish "Planning".

Read it please and weep.... :(

http://www.independent.ie/business/playing-it-a-little-too-safe-with-the-national-debt-1042264.html

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Propellerhead

Perhaps our planners are frightened of the Holy Inquisition like disciples of Dr. Sean Barrett raining brimstone on them for building any railways at all?

Best do these things a bit half arsed than not at all? We are a very long way from being able to move in any way efficently around the sprawl that is Leinster and bits of South Ulster.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Skyhater

AlekSmart wrote:
    Brendan Keenan writing in today`s Sunday Independent sums it up very well indeed in an excellently written concise descriptive appreciation of modern Irish "Planning".

http://www.independent.ie/business/playing-it-a-little-too-safe-with-the-national-debt-1042264.html

Loved the line: "They are still at it, you see, building a Luas tram line wide enough to be converted to a Metro, but which is not a Metro." ©independent.ie
    It just sums it up!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭MLM

AlekSmart wrote:

To be fair to the government they can only invest in something if people ask for it. For example, when you look at the opposition to the development of the Western Rail Corridor on this forum alone, is it any wonder that the government is relucant to invest in ambitious capital projects? Or look at some of the negative reaction to the new Cork Airport Terminal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

MLM

What opposition is there to reopening the Phoenix Park Tunnel?
    What opposition is there to reopening Clonsilla to Navan?
    What opposition is there to Cork Commuter?
    What opposition is there to Galway Commuter?
    What opposition is there to buying 183 new railcars?
    What opposition is there to improving Rosslare Harbour to Limerick?
    What opposition is there to improving Limerick to Ballybrophy?
    What opposition was there towards saving the railways, and relaying the entire radial network with CWR?
    What opposition was there towards buying new rolling stock for Dublin to Cork?
    What opposition is there to the Galway to Limerick service, including Limerick to Ennis?
    What opposition is there to more frequent services on ALL routes?
    What opposition is there to CTC?
    And finally, what opposition is there to the Interconnector.
    What opposition to Metro North and Metro West?

I'll tell you where the opposition to the Interconnector came from. It came from a bunch of Anglo-Irish aristocratic rail enthusiasts who said that if the Interconnector was built, it would prevent the northern portion of the western rail corridor from being reopened, and the Foynes branch from being reopened.

Do I need to elaborate any further. Should we rejoice at the investment in lots of projects that will benefit millions, than the loss of one minor project that costs far too much that will benefit a few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

dermo88 wrote:
    I'll tell you where the opposition to the Interconnector came from. It came from a bunch of Anglo-Irish aristocratic rail enthusiasts who said that if the Interconnector was built, it would prevent the northern portion of the western rail corridor from being reopened, and the Foynes branch from being reopened.

Hah - by and large no one is listening to that besides some Irish rail enthusiasts who should know better than to respond!

The reason there's real opposition to the Interconnector (and yes, to Metro too) is quite simple - it's an enormously expensive amount for spending on public transport. Also for the opposition of Joe Public rather than politicians, it's about them not trusting the government in the spending of such money.

Of course, those reasons for opposition are not valid either given the need for the projects, although I share a certain amount of trepidation about the Metro being done right and as such ending up being value for money. Indeed I'm slightly concerned about the Interconnector being done right too, although one would hope there's not much obstacle to it's main aim succeeding - the Interconnection. But underground stations etc. could be done badly.

Thats good zoney. Because you were an angry student, and I'm a happy queen, and we've all growed up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I have no objection to irish residents lobbying for what they want, despite me not agreeing with most of the WRC. However....those english (with some americans thrown in I believe) trainspotters who lobby for the WRC are out of order. To them it really is just a trainset!

The WRC is already dealt with on another thread somewhere, which is 3 1/2 years long, consists of 1,157 posts, and 53 pages. The last 24 pages are dedicated to its burial. If printed, it amounts to a lot of landfill.

The Interconnector simply has to be built. Who would consider Dublin without DART today? Anyone who opposes DART underground, can they just look back at all the objections, and the counterarguments coming from the likes of Dr Sean Barrett between 1978-1984. At the time he was broadly correct, for CIE Rail, were the greatest advertisement for a car dealership going. Today, we cannot imagine Dublin without Luas or DART, however poor or inadequate they are, or are perceived to be.

This represents the chance to win the hearts and minds of a generation of transport users in the right place, who will not be forced into a car dealership as a result of the provision of infrequent, overpriced, inconvenient, slow services. It costs a lot because its a key section. It has been under discussion in various incarnations since 1859. Several generations have fudged the issue. For the first time ever, Ireland has the wealth and resources to build this.

Lets do it, and give something great as the legacy of the Celtic Tiger era.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

AlekSmart wrote:

QFT.

Whatever that means. I gather its a young persons version of "Bravo" in which case I say QFT indeed!!!

I am also told by the youth of today that FTW is also quite acceptable in these circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Quote for truth.

For teh win!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

QFT == Quite F***** True, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Advertisement