Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese cure for rain

Options
  • 22-07-2007 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭

Apparently the chinese are shooting iodine into the clouds to ensure rain free Olympics in 2008.
    http://en.beijing2008.cn/culture/ceremonies/n214112820.shtml
    Why don't we all throw our government issued iodine tablets into the air at the same time and see if we can put an end to the downpours. !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

jos28 wrote:
    Why don't we all throw our government issued iodine tablets into the air at the same time and see if we can put an end to the downpours. !

No point......they're out of date! :p

I seen something like this on a BBC documentary 'Science of Superstorms' where American scientists were developing ways of preventing huricanes striking the US and causing another Katrina scenario. One of the more favourable methods I think was dropping some chemicals into the eye wall of the huricane while still out at sea, it turns the moisture into ice crystals or something and reduces the power of the huricane :rolleyes:

You just know when you start to mess with the weather like that its gonna bite back twice as bad at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Also sandstorms blown off the west african coast is said to also take the sting out of hurricanes and also stop them from forming,so i read somewhere.Can only think moisture being soaked up by sand making air heavier and descending me thinks.

Yep iodine never worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Snowbie wrote:
    Also sandstorms blown off the west african coast is said to also take the sting out of hurricanes and also stop them from forming,so i read somewhere.Can only think moisture being soaked up by sand making air heavier and descending me thinks.

Yep iodine never worked.

Now that you mention that Snowbie, I just remembered in that documentary too, the scientists said that a child walking on some sand in the Sahara can kick start a hurricane!! I found that very hard to believe, think its called the butterfly affect or something? Because it only needs something as subtle as a butterfly flapping its wings to kick off events (if conditions are right of course).

Advertisement