Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Just Bought a UK 02 Audi A4 SE 2.4

Options
  • 21-07-2007 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

In the last couple of days i've just bought a UK 02 Audi A4 SE 2.4 petrol.

Its an absoloute beauty mint condition 39k miles on her

2.4 petrol
    multitronic
    leather interior

Picking her up next week, cant wait.

Any one have ideas or past experience with same model.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Sounds like a lovely car. Resale value won't be great here because of the engine size & fuel consumption, but it will be far more refined than a four cylinder. I take it you've HPI checked it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

ya had that done. bought from an audi dealership in uk.

was wondering about the resale value here all right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Why a 2.4? I always viewed that type of engine size as being neither fish nor fowl. I imagine a 2.0 would be as quick in real world condtions and much cheaper to tax.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Why a 2.4? I always viewed that type of engine size as being neither fish nor fowl. I imagine a 2.0 would be as quick in real world condtions and much cheaper to tax.

Mike.

fish nor fowl? dont under stand

was meant to be actually goin for a 1.8t and saw that offer i couldnt refuse.

far from 2.4 i was reared!

mike65 wrote:

Mike.
    Six cylinder engines are just so much nicer than fours.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Anan1 wrote:
    Six cylinder engines are just so much nicer than fours.;)

Agreed, just bought myself a BMW 320ci (2.2L) and she is a pleaure to drive, engine is responsive, smooth and powerful. Just thinking though I maybe should have went automatic, larger engines are more suited to them I think.

(oh, be prepared to watch your fuel gauge visibly drop much faster than ever before!)

yayamark wrote:
    fish nor fowl? dont under stand
    I think he means that a 2.4 will give you neither the economy of a four nor the performance of a big six. This is true, but it ignores the added refinement of a small six.

Quite so. :)

Mike.

Anan1 wrote:
    I think he means that a 2.4 will give you neither the economy of a four nor the performance of a big six. This is true, but it ignores the added refinement of a small six.

oh right

my main concern was comfort and cost of vrt

comfort is unreal and vrt is half the price of 1.8t and 2.0.

anyone any ideas how much a service will be and how often i'll need one for this type of car?

UPDATE
    got the car a couple of days ago absoloutely love it.A dream drive no problems. very fast but very quite.

I dont see many of them around just wonder what there worth?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

yayamark wrote:

I dont see many of them around just wonder what there worth?

My guess would be about half of the equivalent A4 1.9 TDi with twice the mileage and half the spec.

That's the irish market for you.

peasant wrote:
    My guess would be about half of the equivalent A4 1.9 TDi with twice the mileage and half the spec.

That's the irish market for you.
    Maybe not quite that little.;) I'd say €12,000 or thereabouts. Might take a while to sell, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,880 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Anan1 wrote:
    I'd say €12,000 or thereabouts. Might take a while to sell, though.

I guessed about the same in a private sale. The OMSP is €11,258 (VRT is €3,377). Older cars with big petrol engines are probably cheaper here than anywhere else in the EU. Buyers market!

I guess it would have cost about £8k + VRT + expenses to land it here, so the guts of €16k

But don't worry, OP. It's a lovely car. Keep it for the long run and enjoy :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Friend of mine has one. Gearbox is acting up. It seems nobody can fix it.

Friend of mine has one. Gearbox is acting up. It seems nobody can fix it.
    This may or may not help, but the gearbox in the A8 is said by Audi to be maintenance-free, ie the fluid & filter are 'for life'. Apparently this is true, in the sense that, without attention, both will last for around 80k miles. Changing the fluid & filters even on a transmission that's already starting to misbehave can dramatically improve the situation. Might be worth Googling.

All Audi auto boxes have been "maintainence free" for about 14 years i think. Thats rubbish, the A6 was a bit sluggish/jerky on the changes, the fluid was renewed and it was smooth afterwards (cars best feature actually).

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

yayamark wrote:
    Hi all,

In the last couple of days i've just bought a UK 02 Audi A4 SE 2.4 petrol.

Its an absoloute beauty mint condition 39k miles on her

2.4 petrol
    multitronic
    leather interior

Thanks.

Sweet sounding motor - that would certainly turn my head if I saw it - not sure if I have ever seen a 2.4 on the roads. Kudos on a good choice and also Kudos for getting over to the U.K. in pursuit of a good spec car.

Sweet sounding motor - that would certainly turn my head if I saw it - not sure if I have ever seen a 2.4 on the roads. Kudos on a good choice and also Kudos for getting over to the U.K. in pursuit of a good spec car.

Thanks i love it.
    nice to see some nice replies, just taxed it today :( but i knew that anyways.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

how much was the tax lad?

"Well wear" with it anyway.

tax was 8 hundred or something, i also taxed my m/bike as well so dont exactly know.

Must get it nct next but keep forgetting, ill do it tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Looking at buying something simularish, but can't afford the insurance on a 2.4 yet. Looking to buy a 1.8T A6 in 00 or else the new shape A4 (2002) in 1.8t.

I demand photos!

I wouldn't have thought the 2.4 would be any more to insure than the 1.8T?

Anan1 wrote:
    I wouldn't have thought the 2.4 would be any more to insure than the 1.8T?

your right the ins is similiar due to the fact that the 1.8 has a turbo. IIRC there was less than €80 of a difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

That sounds like a nice car. You should post some pictures of it and the engine aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I too require photo's.

Having considered a plethora of cars in this bracket I'm coming back to the A4. I would have preferred the current model machine, but it ain't happening!

€15K is my budget, and I've chewed through 9-3's, passats, 156's, etc, etc. My budget has gone north from my original 7-8K, and I feel no closer to a car :(
    I NEED to replace my current 96 polo before it dies.

I visit clients a fair bit and need something solid, good cache, but not flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,880 ✭✭✭✭unkel

uberwolf wrote:

A €15k second hand previous model A4 sounds about perfect for that imho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

I dont believe til i see the photos ;)

uberwolf wrote:
    I too require photo's.

Having considered a plethora of cars in this bracket I'm coming back to the A4. I would have preferred the current model machine, but it ain't happening!

€15K is my budget, and I've chewed through 9-3's, passats, 156's, etc, etc. My budget has gone north from my original 7-8K, and I feel no closer to a car :(
    I NEED to replace my current 96 polo before it dies.

ok ok ok. she's dirty at the moment. i'll wash her and put ip photos of her later:)

Uberwolf - How much mileage would you be doin a year? I bought a big enjine petrol because i dont do that much mileage. Hate to say this but would a petrol be a better buy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I get €1.30 a mile. up to 4k business miles

I've never really sat down to assess my mileage, but I'd be shocked if it were in excess of 10k. TBH I hadn't envisaged more than a 1.8, but the longer I've looked the more desperate I've become!

• Advertisement
Advertisement