Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing with renters or sharing with the owners?

Options
  • 21-07-2007 7:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭

I'm about to go back to renting after having my own house (and then living with the parents briefly) and the above are my two options.

Years ago when I rented I did both and both had upsides and downsides. Usually when sharing with the owner they were not as laid back as other renters would be (wanting everything 'just so' because it was their house etc.) but then renting with multiple strangers had its downsides too and I am in a quandry now as to which option to go for this time. As you can tell I am apprehensive about sharing with strangers anyway but circumstances have forced it so there's not much I can do.

Does anyone else have experience and have a preference? And if so, why?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

It all depends on the person really. At the moment I'm renting and the owner also lives in the house. It's not a problem at all but that's down to the owner who takes the view that when you're living in the house, it's your home as well. And so, it's the homeliest place I've ever lived in. There's also the added bonus that if something goes wrong (broken washing machines, that sort of thing), I don't have to go chasing landlords.

On the other hand, I've lived in other places alongside the owner and never felt entirely comfortable about this. Renting with strangers is pot luck but can work out great. Some of my best friends I met while renting down the years. I've been lucky in that I've never rented with any really awful people. True, I've shared with people I wouldn't have been crazy about but we never fell out or anything.

On the law of averages, If I had to rent a new place in the morning, I'd probably go the renting with strangers route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

As Firetrap says it's really potluck. I have lived with a psycho owner once before and it's not something I'd ever want to do again yet then again sharing with a random flatmate I'm quite obsessive over how neat and clean and tidy things should be (thanks Dad for instilling that in me).
    Tbh I'd go for the random stranger route and try to sound them out for their levels of cleanliness rather than an owner-occupier. At least that way you might find a neat freak but you won't find someone who is going to pull the "it's my place so put-up or get-out" line on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Thanks....

I lived with a crazy woman when I was younger and in college who just decided half way through the college year that it wasn't working for her and booted me out. I've also shared with strangers in rented accom who were 'street pharmacists' selling from the house so I've had baaad experiences from both side.

The current option I'm looking at is renting a final room from a landlord in a house without meeting the other tenants as they've dealt with him and none have moved in yet. He seems a straight up kind of guy who wouldn't take any messing so I'm hoping he was selective about the other people renting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

I had bad experience living with strangers basically they left without letting me know and i was stuck paying all the rent and had to leave. I would go for living a owner, at leat you only have to make sure you have your own rent in order. Also if there is any problems in the property ie. repairs they will be likly to get done quickly as the owner lives there. But thats just my opinion im sure there are lots of horror stories about people living with owners. good luck with ur decision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Afuera

Why don't you rent a place on your own and then vet the other tenants that will be sharing with you? i.e. become the "head tenant". I know it's hassle but at least you'll have a bit of control on who you live with.

Due to weak Irish laws I would not recommend living with the landlord. You have zero rights as a licensee and can be booted out at any time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 MiaMia

Personally having shared for 15 years now - I would never rent from an owner occupier again.

The girl who owned the flat refused to give me my mail, allow me access to the living room/kitchen (i.e. I had to eat in my bedroom) when her friends were there and when I had enough and gave a months notice - she told me she wanted six weeks or she would withhold my deposit.

When I asked Threshold about the situation and my rights their reply was as below.

"Unfortunately because you live with your landlady you are classed as a licensee tenant and therefore you do not fall under the scope of the RESIDENTIAL TENANCIES ACT 2004. This basically means that your landlady can make up the rules as she goes along."

I have had bad flat mates and bad landlords before - but they have never been the same person before. It makes life really difficult and I really would not recommend it.

So for

Advertisement