If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact

Best of the worst?



  • Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

    First on your list is sold so thats out, second is not bad, third not bad, 4th is a ham type handheld and may need a license to legally hold and definitely needs a license to transmit.

    Personally I would take the 3rd one. Small and portable, in your pocket, with a reasonable coverage. Second isn't bad if you are happy enough with the larger size.

  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

    I got a Uniden/Bearcat UBC68XLT, and was surprised how good it is. Works better for NOAA weather satellite than the Yaesu VR500. Also works to listen to 4m/70MHz Amateur Radio as well as the more normal bands. Mysterious I thought that it does not do FM BandII.

    You need 110Mhz to 137MHz AM for airtraffic, and 137MHz to 138MHz FM for weather Satellite. Amateur bands to listen to are 28..29.7, 50..52, 70..71, 144..146, 430..440 and 1200..1340 Approx, any mix AM, SSB, FM. Marine 155 .. 163 Approx FM.
    Misc CB & Churches 26.5..27.9MHz. AM/FM /SSB

    The VR500 though has SSB & AM as well as FM and no gaps between 0.1MHz and 1300MHz. But costs a lot more.

    The Linton is not a good scanner. It's a two way radio, and not a very good one. It is illegal for any use other than 144MHz to 146MHz with Amateur licence.