Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deadly easy but good food - post them here

Options
  • 20-07-2007 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭

Right, this will give you the idea.

Aldi. Chinese Duck with some crappy pancakes but a good sauce. Its in the frozen food department.

Method:

1. Chuck away the pancakes - they're rubbish.
    2. Cut open the bag, stick the duck into the oven for 25 mins on 220 degrees.
    3. Boil some water, pour into a mug, leave the scahet of sauce in it for a bit.
    4. OPTIONAL: After 22 mins microwave some microwavable rice for two mins.

Take out the duck, slice it up, chuck it all onto a dish. Eat. Habe a bottle or a can or two and fart like a hero.

Price, including, Rice about €8. Take away price about €12 and its just as good. Massive amount of Duck.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Salad.

/gets coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Maybe it's me, but I missed the part where you fry it. Anyway it all sound like too much work. There's four steps involved, ffs. And what's with the rice? Surely you mean chips. I also reckon you meant a six pack or two (possibly three if you've bottles).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Here's one of my favourites:

Ingredients

Tesco - Tin of ready-made chicken curry. Comes with a purplely colour label on the tin. Don't go for the Tesco Value blue-&-white label version, it tastes shít. Got to be the stuff in the purple tin. Not as good as what you'd get in a takeaway, admitedly, but it's quite tasty with some nice big chunks of chicken in it. Plus it's dirt cheap! ;):D

Packet of Uncle Ben's (or whatever brand you prefer yourself! Think Lidl does an even cheaper version if you want to risk it! :D ) microwave rice.

Cooking Directions

Chuck the tin of curry into a saucepan and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occassionally. Or, even quicker, throw it into a bowl, cover it, into the microwave, cook for a couple of minutes. Take it out, stir it up a bit, put it back in for another couple of minutes until finished.

Chuck the rice into the microwave and nuke it for 2 minutes as per instructions.

Throw the lot out onto a plate. Done! Quick, simple, filling. :D

Costs feck all as well.

Feel free to bulk it up with some chips or whatever additions you like yourself, though I find it's usually pretty filling as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

1. Call Local Chinese Takeaway
    2. Place order
    3. Answer door
    4. Eat food out of container.

Even this quantifys work, but it's by far the best option suggested so far.

The-Rigger wrote:
    2. Place order
    3. Answer door

Even this quantifys work, but it's by far the best option suggested so far.

Ah yes - good man Rigger! I can handle those four steps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The-Rigger wrote:
    2. Place order
    3. Answer door

I think this can be expanded upon:

1. Tell your wimmin what food you want so that she can call the local Chinese.
    2. Sit on couch drinking beer and watching Sky Sports/pr0n until food arrives.
    3. Allow wimmin to answer door, pay for food and bring it to you with a fork and another beer.

zaph wrote:

3. Allow wimmin to answer door, pay for food and bring it to you with a fork and another beer.

This is optimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭trout

zaph wrote:

Not bad Brother Zaph, not bad at all. However, after 10 years of married bliss (it's well for her) I have refined this process into a single step, which never varies and always works.

Simply put, when I walk in the door from work, I only have to say "Wife, fetch my dinner, I command you!" (this is true, I swear. She thinks I'm joking ... ha!!) ... and within 10 mins, I have a feast fit for a king laid before me. *

This gives me enough time for a post work dump, and a quick read of the sports pages while on the throne.

In fairness to Mrs Trout, while she has some vagaries, she is a fiend in the kitchen and takes her cooking duties most seriously indeed. If she doesn't feel like cooking, she arranges a take-away instead, and I am very happy with this arrangement. In return, I do the Sunday dinners (all roasts, all the time), Christmas dinner, and barbeque's when weather permits. This works out well.

* albeit a very unfussy kind of king, who likes chips, stews and curries a lot.

Impressive stuff Brother Trout, but I spotted one major inefficiency in your technique:
    trout wrote:
    This gives me enough time for a post work dump, and a quick read of the sports pages while on the throne.

Surely you realise that whenever possible dumping should be done on company time to reduce both actual time to be worked and domestic expenditure on bog roll?

This is super optimal.

• Advertisement

I knew that project management course I did would come in handy eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

throw a chicken fillet into a hot wok (toss around) season with pepper & salt, 4 mins later throw in a little soy sauce and chilli jam, then 3 mins later add some onions and mushrooms (or whatever veg you like), cook it up for another 5 mins and throw in some ready cooked noodles. 2 mins later u have chicken chow mein

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Get some of those microwavable frankfurters (anything but the Denny's ones), lob them in said device for ~1min per pair, while cooking take slice of bread, lob on some ketchup, when done place frankfurter in bread and wrap up. Devour. Repeat. Sounds lovely but when consumed in the presence of alcohol are rather tasty. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭trout

zaph wrote:
    Impressive stuff Brother Trout, but I spotted one major inefficiency in your technique:

Surely you realise that whenever possible dumping should be done on company time to reduce both actual time to be worked and domestic expenditure on bog roll?
    At first glance Brother Zaph, this may look like an inefficiency in my technique ... please allow me to elaborate.

When you eat as much starchy, lardy, stodgy, greasy goodness as I do in a given day, there are many opportunities for office based dumps. Without getting vulgar, I spend a fair amount of work time on the throne, occasionally getting phone calls from colleagues to ensure I haven't fallen in. Naturally, I visit other floors and departments in the building, to share the experience far & wide and also reduce the chance of bumping into someone I know. I like to visit the Software Developers loos most often, and give them some real feedback.

However, due to my somewhat lofty rank in work, I can rarely relax enough to go the whole hog, as it were. There have been some complaints about the grunts & groans involved dispatching a particularly troublesome load. This has hampered me slightly and made the working dump somewhat pedestrian and mundane :(

So, now I like to stoke up on coffee for the afternoon, to ensure an ample supply of propellant for my post work dump ... which serves to clear the decks for the night ahead and helps me to separate the working day from the pleasant evenings that are every Brother & Sister's right in this world.

To keep on topic ... my contribution to the Deadly easy but good food guide is here.

You will need ... Eggs, Bread, Butter, Cheese, Onion and George Foreman grill (he rules!)
    • Take one George Foreman grill ... the bigger the better.
    • Take thick slices of your favourite bread. I like Brennan's meself.
    • Apply ample quantities of butter to the OUTER surface of the bread.
    • Dice the onion and cheese ... crack the eggs and mix together. You want a lumpy paste.
    • Apply this mixture to the bread in the George Foreman grill.
    • Put a lid on the sandwich. Close the George.
    • Wait 2 mins, or until cheese leaks out of the sandwich. Or smoke alarm goes off.
    • If you're posh, or entertaining, add some of the herbs your missus keeps in the press above the microwave. I like rosemary, parsley and other green things. Green is good.

1. Give wimmins money.
      2. Send said wimmins to the chipper.
      3. Eat your lovley greasy chips and burger and have your wimmins clean up after and get you some beer.

I believe this is the most efficient method, but I am open to correction.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Have a banana...

Fried, of course. Mmmmm, banana fritters.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

3. Boil some water
      what am i, a chemist !?

my instructions:

option 1:

1. buy sausages/rashers/eggs/beans/mushrooms/bread/anything else you feel like frying.

2. put oil in pan.

3. put everything on the pan in turn except the beans which are microwaved.

4. eat

option 2:

1. print out option 1 and hand it to the wimmin

what am i, a chemist !?

my instructions:

option 1:

1. buy sausages/rashers/eggs/beans/mushrooms/bread/anything else you feel like frying.

2. put oil in pan.

3. put everything on the pan in turn except the beans which are microwaved.

4. eat

option 2:

1. print out option 1 and hand it to the wimmin

Option 2 all the way:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Step 1) Waitress I'll have the full Irish ... with extra fried stuff....

Step 2) Eat

• Advertisement

This thread seems to imply that the brothers should learn how to use ovens, grills, etc.

We know nothing of this sort. We want it served to us with a beer in tow.

Cooking is not our thing. Let's just eat what the wimmin make and be happy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

One thing about these "Wimmin" or "Wife" devices. I find that my one is constantly demanding, requires frequent overhauls and is generally a not of bother. Makes some amount of noise as well when operating doing the domestics and all that.

Too much hassle.

Trade it in for a new one. They only run trouble free for a year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I prefer the one-click order online site... but unfortunatley it takes more than one click as you have to open your browser first, so it's really 2 clicks :( (hmm, maybe I could be onto something here, a real 1-click system, but that would take some thinking about :eek:)

If too lazy to do the 2 clicks then I press 1 on the speed-dial of my phone, but then you have the hassle of trying to tell them what you want!

Then, in a serious emergency (laptop & mobile batteries both dead), I would throw some birdseye waffles in the toaster and a tin of beans in the microwave!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Go to a good butcher.Buy a stuffed pork roast.Get PLENTY of seasoning.Stick in the oven (180 degrees fior two hours,220 for one hour forty five).Carve into big,quivering chunks,making sure there's crackling in every mouthfull and consume in its entirety with copious cans of cold beer.This can also be done with a leg of lamb but must be rubbed with garlic and cooked with rosemary first.Also the bone should be fcuked into the neighbour's garden whether they've a dog or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Kaldorn

well maybe when you are all dead from drinking too much and eating unhealthy rubbish you will reget your choice of lifestyle and before you say how can i regret it if i am dead,i believe you will be damned to walk pergatory for the rest of time

Kaldorn wrote:
      well maybe when you are all dead from drinking too much and eating unhealthy rubbish you will reget your choice of lifestyle and before you say how can i regret it if i am dead,i believe you will be damned to walk pergatory for the rest of time

:eek:
      Say it isn't so

Kaldorn wrote:
      before you say how can i regret it if i am dead,i believe you will be damned to walk pergatory for the rest of time

Is there a bar there? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

As far as I recall, Purgatory has a nice sofa. AND Sky Sports. I'll settle for that.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Degsy wrote:
      Stick in the oven (180 degrees fior two hours,220 for one hour forty five)..

So thats 8 minutes with at 2000 degrees ?

Advertisement