Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Beware of PM's

• 20-07-2007 7:53am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok, so i just got a pm from someone called Trevor Strat, which i think spoilered the new book. I only read the first line of it, not realising what it was, and promptly closed it. Dont know if it was a true spoiler, but if it is...i hope whoever you are suffers an appropriate and painful death/major injury.

Anyone else get this?

ps. it looks like he's already been banned.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Yes; see the Trevor Strat - PM Idiot (Watch Out Potter Fans!) thread in Feedback. He is banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Yeah I got it. It's funny because I actually thought it was a harry potter spoiler pm before I even opened it (was to be expected) so I had my hand covering the screen and unveiled the pm word by word. Luckily I only saw the word Harry then deleted it. Haha. What a twat though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Ibjiba

Where is the fun in sending out a pm like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

Yeah I got that too, only read the first line then the bottom line. It could be false spoilers anyhoo. I think he wrote at the bottom enjoy the book, HP sucks or something along those lines. Fair enough if Harry isn't your cuppa. If you want to come on here and say Harry sucks I wouldn't mind but sending out a PM with (possible) spoilers is of highest order of wankstainness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭GWolf

Yezah, I got one form him. Only read the first line though. I caught the apparent leak about a week ago, and read a few lines. I'm not so sure it's real to be honest. Very sparse wording for Rowling, and the page design (and writing style) didn't strike me as very Harry Potter like. Doesn't make a blind bit of difference to me anywho.

Nice try Trevor. All you did was point out something I already knew, now run along small child, run along.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Mkl

Phew thank god i read this before i noticed the pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

I got one too!

I'd already read those spoilers somewhere else so i didn't mnd too much, still totally unfair on those who hadn't!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 alanobroin

Apparently a hacker found his way into JK Rowlings computer and posted the spoilers on insecure.com Could all be a big joke though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

alanobroin wrote:
    Apparently a hacker found his way into JK Rowlings computer and posted the spoilers on insecure.com Could all be a big joke though...
    most of us will know for sure by this time tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 21,106 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Yeah, just got that there. Only read the first line anyway, but that was already aa spoiler I had read before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭*marie*

Oh for **** I started reading it before I realised what it was. How would someone get joy out of this? Grrrr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

i'm no HP fan but respect the fact that a lot of ppl enjoy the books.

to ruin the plot like this is truly idiotic.

some ppl really make you wonder.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah, got one too, don't really mind as of yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

People, I'm really recommending you stay off line until you've read the book.

PS Made you look Tar. <3

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some people can't be happy without spoiling it for someone else :mad:

Kiith & The Bollox, quotes in sigs are not allowed at boards, read the sig rules here

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

People, I'm really recommending you stay off line until you've read the book.

PS Made you look Tar. <3
    Although it was Biko that made me look, you are putting up a good fight. Expelliarmus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

I read my messages before hopping on here. I read the first line too. i'm livid. How can someone enjoy doing this? What a sadist! Dont care as still queuing to get my book in Dawsons street tonight! I should put the cruciatius curse on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

got a pm myself.didnt want to come to this forum in case idiots put it up as a thread.he sent me one to.read a few words before i closed it.stupid internet

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

The internet is a bad bad place :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭GWolf

Ok, there's now some evidence to say the leaks are faked. Rowling says so, for one(ps, she is pissed!!!!). And two, the leaked ending was on page 7 hundred and something and the new book is only supposed to have six hundred and eight pages(or so it said in the paper when they were talking about potter mania)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

thank god i didnt read more.i should have realised as soon as i got it what it was.i think i will stay offline until i finish it.im afraid to go onto anything now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Do send one of the moderators (or me) a PM if this happens again and someone will sort it out, nuked the alternate account as soon as I got word before, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Kiith wrote:
    i hope whoever you are suffers an appropriate and painful death/major injury.
    jesus.. its just a book for gods sake....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

GWolf wrote:
    Ok, there's now some evidence to say the leaks are faked. Rowling says so, for one(ps, she is pissed!!!!). And two, the leaked ending was on page 7 hundred and something and the new book is only supposed to have six hundred and eight pages(or so it said in the paper when they were talking about potter mania)

They were all terue! Just on difrfent page numbers as the amiecan book had more poages. Larger ptrint for americans or something probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

GWolf wrote:
    They're real and were obviously so.

Do you really think someone would go to such an effort to make such an elaborate hoax?

It'd involve writing a whole book, making around 400 templates in photoshop of a blank book at slightly different angles(with the nice touch of a beer can in the corner) and making the text blurred/distorted in a different way of every page.

And the American version has more pages than the UK/Ireland version because of the pictures.

It's confirmed real since last night anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

R_H_C_P wrote:
    jesus.. its just a book for gods sake....
    Well, yes, and of course no one wants anyone to suffer such a fate, but such feelings are understandable.

I mean, I was 9/10 when I first read HP & the Philosopher's Stone and I'm 18 now. Harry Potter has been a part of many people's childhoods, and many, myself included, have read and reread the books countless times.

Some twat deliberately spoiling the ending for fans is very low indeed.

It may be just a book, but it's a very important book to many of us.

Advertisement