Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Donegal the Pit's ?..

Options
  • 19-07-2007 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

Having been around most countrie's , I am ashamed to admit that Donegal IMHO has become a greed based County that must rank as possibly the most corrupt, uncaring money grabbing County in Ireland.

If anyone can point out a County where there are people still living in two roomed hovel's without electricity, running water, toilet's, bathrooms, telephone's, TV reception etc equal to the extent of deprivation in Donegal.

I would love to hear about it. ?.:mad: . Please consider that as a native I am entitled to be critical.

P. :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,858 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If you're looking for other counties to compare then perhaps you should open threads round the regions.

You're in a snappy old mood tonight Paddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

muffler wrote:
    If you're looking for other counties to compare then perhaps you should open threads round the regions.

You're in a snappy old mood tonight Paddy

Just being realistic and honest as usual, and yes I am not pleased with my home community tonight/this morning ;) .

P.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Someone hasn't been to Leitrim then....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

Someone hasn't been to Leitrim then....

go on jimmy, enlighten us with your words of wisdom on leitrim.
    Paddy20 wrote:
    If anyone can point out a County where there are people still living in two roomed hovel's without electricity, running water, toilet's, bathrooms, telephone's, TV reception etc equal to the extent of deprivation in Donegal.

Donegal may have some situation but if you look at the population per capitia then it will fair ok, christ if you look at the capita, then Leitrim will come out the best.

In relation to poverty and squaller, unfortunately it is a fact of life, when people will not ask for help or ashemed to ask for help.

Pride is bad thing in times like these

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

The services out there do not make it easy for people to ask for help. There is'nt a history of entitlment to services, so it is difficult to ask. Theres not alot of information about how to claim things and the state contracts the voluntary services to do things that it should be doing itself, eg home help. The church did some good work historically but it was still charity and may account for the lack of pick up of services by some people.
    You should have a right as a citizen or tax payer to live in a humane way. But at the same time theres a huge argument at the moment about what defines poverty. There also seems to be the history of the state throwing money at the issue eg increasing monies for social welfare and pensions. Some people are so vulnerable and they need to be supported and helped to get themselves out of their shellshocked circumstances. Look at the lack of mental helath services, alcohol abuse services and places for rehab for drug abusers. And still people voted a party that has such a poor record on commuity services and health services back in. Yep paddy thats the greed of the local punter coming out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Paddy20 wrote:

I would love to hear about it. ?.:mad: . Please consider that as a native I am entitled to be critical.

Water? Try Galway or Ennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Paddy20 wrote:
    Having been around most countrie's , I am ashamed to admit that Donegal IMHO has become a greed based County that must rank as possibly the most corrupt, uncaring money grabbing County in Ireland.

From my limited knowledge, there are bits of the West and North-West that are like this, it's not just restricted to Donegal. It's pretty bad but it's becoming less and less common fortunately. Corruption, however, is not, and we're doing nothing to fight it. Complaining about it won't fix it, you've got to fight it. Again, not just restricted to Donegal, it was well summed up for me when they re-elected Beverly Cooper-Flynn, a court-convicted money grabber! Why?!

Also, yeah, I've found Ireland to have become much more greedy, and money orientated, that's a lot to do I think with the "Don't talk to strangers" attitute that people teach kids these days that rip communities apart. Take a look at the Seven Lesson Schoolteacher Paddy, I think you'll enjoy it. Its still not as bad as London though, a (good-looking, female) friend of mine was saying yesterday that a well-dressed young man came on to her last week in a bar near the university with the chat up line "So I'm a manager on 60k..." :confused:

Oh, and what is population per capita supposed to represent?
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/per%20capita

smashey wrote:
    Water? Try Galway or Ennis.

smashey,

This is not a joking matter, and I am surprised that you might see it as such :( .

Ask a local councillor about the true circumstance's under which a large number of our people are living, I think you could be in for a shock.

tuppence wrote:
    The services out there do not make it easy for people to ask for help. There is'nt a history of entitlment to services, so it is difficult to ask. Theres not alot of information about how to claim things and the state contracts the voluntary services to do things that it should be doing itself, eg home help. The church did some good work historically but it was still charity and may account for the lack of pick up of services by some people.
    You should have a right as a citizen or tax payer to live in a humane way. But at the same time theres a huge argument at the moment about what defines poverty. There also seems to be the history of the state throwing money at the issue eg increasing monies for social welfare and pensions. Some people are so vulnerable and they need to be supported and helped to get themselves out of their shellshocked circumstances. Look at the lack of mental helath services, alcohol abuse services and places for rehab for drug abusers. And still people voted a party that has such a poor record on commuity services and health services back in. Yep paddy thats the greed of the local punter coming out.

Once again tuppence,

Your post shows genuine concern :) .

tuppence wrote:
    The services out there do not make it easy for people to ask for help. There is'nt a history of entitlment to services, so it is difficult to ask.

And then you find the abuse of services such as medical cards where some people who have them have run to the doctor every five minutes simply because they can.

I know someone who gets rent allowance paid and amongst other benefits. This person doesn't actually genuinely deserve the state benefits but there are a lot of benefits down to the one that irritates me - free bin tags. (It annoys me because I take more care to use the recycling facilites to reduce the waste cost).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

I agree with Jimmy here, talkinag about corruption, its not just at the top, at least there is some transparancy there now.. what about those who get on the housing lists, get medical cards and abuse the system. People seem to slap these people on the back and tell them they deserve it. Car insurance fraud is another point.

Many people who are doing well in this country worked hard for what they got. Many who haven't don't get off their backside to, there are exceptions to both but its not all black and white.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Paddy20 wrote:
    smashey,

This is not a joking matter, and I am surprised that you might see it as such :( .

Ask a local councillor about the true circumstance's under which a large number of our people are living, I think you could be in for a shock.

I wasn't joking Paddy.

Paddy as usual has some interesting points to be debated - some of them are genuine and some are just a complete fabrication of the reality - a figment if you like of Paddy's imagination.

The problem I see with a lot of these threads is that Paddy raises issues and castigates almost everyone and everything in authority. Everyone who is doing well for themselves must be corrupt if you are to use Paddy's analogy.

In relation to Paddy's opening post in this thread I personally dont know anyone who is living in the conditions he describes. So where are these people then? Who are they? Do you want to PM me the details Paddy?

We have strayed off topic a wee bit here with other posts but there is a connection to the thread title so I think we can continue with the theme of abuse of the system etc. Yes i agree with a couple of other people here that there are people out there who dont work and dont want to work yet claim all the benefits going. Thats not exclusive to Donegal or Ireland or even Europe.

Whats the difference between a single mother for example going out and doing a few hours work on the QT and a nice wee cafe in some of the tourist spots that charges €7.50 for a cup of tea and 2 buns? Both are ripping other people off but I think the single mum needs the money more so than the business owner - shes doing it to survive not to bolster an established high life style.

Final point on this and Im directing this at Paddy. You use the medium of boards.ie to highlight all the apparent social injustices and corruption in the North West but what are you yourself doing about it?

nanook wrote:
    go on jimmy, enlighten us with your words of wisdom on leitrim.

I once lived in Fair Leitrim but realised I had to leave when I discovered the local petrol station closed early on sunday afternoon and that meant I'd be imprisoned there until Monday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I've never been to Donegal (and I've heard it's beautiful:) )

But from my own unbiased view, the main stories you ever hear about Donegal are garda corruption, too many holiday homes owned mainly by people in NI, boy racers getting killed and factorys closing.

Sure remember George Lee's Boom or Bust. He choose Donegal over any county to show manufacturing jobs being lost.

I'm not trying to run down the county, I just don't hear the media telling many positive stories about Donegal.

micmclo wrote:

But from my own unbiased view, the main stories you ever hear about Donegal are garda corruption, too many holiday homes owned mainly by people in NI, boy racers getting killed and factorys closing.

Sure remember George Lee's Boom or Bust. He choose Donegal over any county to show manufacturing jobs being lost.

I'm not trying to run down the county, I just don't hear the media telling many positive stories about Donegal.
    Unforunately I have to agree with your sentiments at least in so far as we and this county are perceived by people from other regions.

There are a lot of positives here but sadly the media will only focus on the negative aspects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

Donegal is so far above the pits that the pits is like a scabby sheep rolling around in cows crap.

donegal is just by far the best county in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

muffler wrote:

Yes i agree with a couple of other people here that there are people out there who dont work and dont want to work yet claim all the benefits going. Thats not exclusive to Donegal or Ireland or even Europe.

Whats the difference between a single mother for example going out and doing a few hours work on the QT and a nice wee cafe in some of the tourist spots that charges €7.50 for a cup of tea and 2 buns? Both are ripping other people off but I think the single mum needs the money more so than the business owner - shes doing it to survive not to bolster an established high life style.

Not all business owners are ripping people off to bolster an established high life style either, just to bring some sympathy here for start up businesses and people who have to work hard just to earn a living. Some of the tourist spots (and obviously not all charge €7.50) close during off season and have to make. the money when they can. If they charge too much nobody will go back, whereas the SW cheat seems to be able to go back for more and more and there are no inspectors or very little chance of being caught.

Then there is the "tout" culture in Ireland. Some of the bravest people are whistle blowers but in Ireland they're "touts".

On the SW side, you see e.g. Single parent's who go by the book, finding very little support if they work for minimum wage and decide to go to college. As they have worked they won't get Back to Education payments. Whereas SP's who abuse the system and live with partners will claim everything going like free cots and buggies when they have 2 06 or 07 cars parked outside in the drive of their council (tax payer subsidised) house's.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭ctc_celtic

regob wrote:
    donegal is just by far the best county in ireland

so you're from Leitrim then:D

Don't agree with much of the OP's sentiment, it very easy to criticize and worse to enjoy doing so.

As said before, where is this house you talk about, are there people living in them? have they tried to receive the 'necessary improvement of a house' grant? If conditions were unfit for habitation, they would be eligible for a council house (their not only for knocked up 18 year old girls:D )

I think your points would be much better received if you had some facts to back them up.
    I do know that Rathconnell primary school near Milford has no connection to the water mains, which, seen as it is a school for young children is a disgrace, and from recent reports its not the only one.

Threads like this don't create awareness, its just a rant.

p.s. Donegal is a Greed based county, welcome to Ireland. This property Boom that is now coming to an end, has been purely the result of greed, fueled by the greed of Banks, estate agents, brokers, solicitors and off course good old joe-soap.

muffler wrote:
    Paddy as usual has some interesting points to be debated - some of them are genuine and some are just a complete fabrication of the reality - a figment if you like of Paddy's imagination.

The problem I see with a lot of these threads is that Paddy raises issues and castigates almost everyone and everything in authority. Everyone who is doing well for themselves must be corrupt if you are to use Paddy's analogy.

In relation to Paddy's opening post in this thread I personally dont know anyone who is living in the conditions he describes. So where are these people then? Who are they? Do you want to PM me the details Paddy?

We have strayed off topic a wee bit here with other posts but there is a connection to the thread title so I think we can continue with the theme of abuse of the system etc. Yes i agree with a couple of other people here that there are people out there who dont work and dont want to work yet claim all the benefits going. Thats not exclusive to Donegal or Ireland or even Europe.

Final point on this and Im directing this at Paddy. You use the medium of boards.ie to highlight all the apparent social injustices and corruption in the North West but what are you yourself doing about it?

muffler,

The question -What have I done about it ,would be more appropriate ?..

If you are genuine, just ask local councillors such as J.J.Reid, Patrick McGowan if I have helped both people and our environment over a period of 10 years running voluntary unfunded organisations for which I do not wish any accolades as I regarded it as my duty.

Plus lets not forget the local Press & Radio who gave massive coverage to my campaigns. If you wish to ask them or the Editor's who is 'Paddy McLean' of the 'Twin Towns Enterprise Development Agency' or 'The Citizens Advice bureaux' I feel sure they would have no problem in telling you the truth . As a non-political humanatarian, You are also welcome to talk to 'Pat the Cope' Gallagher, Dinny McGinley etc. all of whom I have had to deal with over the years, who were genuinely helpful. Many time's. Donal Kavanagh at' Hghland Radio News' has a very good record of my campaign's.As doe's 'Chris Ashmore, Editor' of the new' Finn Valley Post'

Finally, I had to retire in November 1999 due to very serious health problem's, but I am still active on a part time basis.

I await your reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

Paddy20 wrote:
    muffler,

The question -What have I done about it ,would be more appropriate ?..

If you are genuine, just ask local councillors such as J.J.Reid, Patrick McGowan if I have helped both people and our environment over a period of 10 years running voluntary unfunded organisations for which I do not wish any accolades as I regarded it as my duty.

Plus lets not forget the local Press & Radio who gave massive coverage to my campaigns. If you wish to ask them or the Editor's who is 'Paddy McLean' of the 'Twin Towns Enterprise Development Agency' or 'The Citizens Advice bureaux' I feel sure they would have no problem in telling you the truth . As a non-political humanatarian, You are also welcome to talk to 'Pat the Cope' Gallagher, Dinny McGinley etc. all of whom I have had to deal with over the years, who were genuinely helpful. Many time's. Donal Kavanagh at' Hghland Radio News' has a very good record of my campaign's.As doe's 'Chris Ashmore, Editor' of the new' Finn Valley Post'

Finally, I had to retire in November 1999 due to very serious health problem's, but I am still active on a part time basis.

I await your reply.

in the words of smashey's friend, "he does a lot of work for chariddy, but I dont like to talk about it"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Fair play Paddy. ;)
    I think anyone that puts in their time and effort should be commended. Too often volunteers are'nt. The social care sector of this country is reliant on un paid workers from the top in management down to the people making the tea. We should be proud of our history of people taking responsibility and reacting to the needs of our area where too often the state hasnt. :)

micmclo wrote:

If you make the same comparison with Dublin then you would be wondering why everyone is not moving out due to all the gangland hits going on.

Advertisement