Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why waste bin charges are fixd????

Options
  • 19-07-2007 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭

i just moved in new house and rang oxigen and quota i got was 27/month (correct me if i m wrong)
    govt is trying to tell to reduce waste but oxigen said(i think almost every one is paying this way) to me no matter you put your bin once a month or every week we'll charge you 27euro does this make seance to any one? would it help to reduce waste?

in my house myself and wife and we both are not that much waste producer i think one normal size bin once a month time is more then we would need.
    and any one know better service in Portlaoise??? i really dont want to pay that much.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Sounds like oxygen are a private enterprise. It would make business sense to them to bill people on a yearly or monthly basis, as they have to hire staff and provide the service weekly whether you have your bin out or not.

Im not sure about Portlaoise, but some refuse collectors have a bin tag system where you buy a tag for a bag of rubbish as and when you need one rather than signing up for the full service. Maybe check that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

In Limerick I pay 6 monthly, and it's a fixed charge. There is pay-by-weight in operation so the less you put in the bin the less it costs. The weight allowance is paid for up front and you get discounted on your next bill for what you haven't used. However, the landfill charge (which is what's weighed) is such a small portion of the bill (compared to service charge) that even using 1/2 your allowance only saves about €20 every six months.

Is Oxigen using a similar approach? As far as I know they have to either charge by weight or by the bin lift. They can't just fix the charge without applying some sort of weight check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Oxigen are muppets in fairness. It's all they can do to manage to debit my account every 3 months and then not send me out a sticker for the bin.
    Had some load of twaddle off them in a letter the other day, saying they're getting ready to trial pay by weight systems and in the meantime will be introducing brown bins for organic waste. I was just waiting for the bit at the end where they said they'd have no chgoice but to raise their rates, but it didn't come.....still 20 quid a month for the half sized bin (that only goes out every second week) is fuppin' ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Just don't try ringing Oxigen for recycling bags (Hint: it takes many calls!). They operate privately in some areas and are sub-contracted by local authorities in other areas.

3 types of bin charges in operation around the country: fixed, fixed + pay-by-weight and pay-by-weight/bag tags.

Pay by weight would be great, but like KtK says, there are fixed costs in refuse/recycling collection, so it's a hard business model to plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

It's effectively double taxation either way, so shouldn't be allowed or should definately be cheaper. But I suppose it pays the bills. It's tagged here in North Dub (Fingal), €8 a pop for normal bin.

• Advertisement
Advertisement