Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shure Earphones

Options
  • 19-07-2007 11:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭

I was looking to good earphones and came across a few threads on boards recommending various sites. one was EarphoneSolutions.com.

There's a link on their website to email them and "ask for their best price"... did that and got the following mail:

EarphoneSolutions.com will be glad to sell you the Shure Earphones, brand new, factory sealed with Shure's full 2 year warranty for:

Model Price Coupon Code Shipping
    E2G (Black) $64.00 e2g $6.95
    E2 / E2C (Clear) $69.99 e2 $6.95
    + FREE Airline Adapter ($9.95 value)

E3G (Black) $114.00 e3g FREE
    SCL3 (Grey) $126.99 e3 FREE
    E3C (White) $126.99 e3 FREE
    E3C-N (Black) $126.99 e3 FREE

SCL4 (BLACK) $184.99 e4 FREE
    E4C (White) $184.99 e4 FREE
    E4C-N (Black) $184.99 e4 FREE
    E4G (Black) $179.00 e4g FREE

On the "Coupon Code" field, enter the coupon provided above (e2, e3, e5, E500, etc.)

I've looked into this a good bit and these are the cheapest. E.g. There was another bargain alert http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054882084 with the e2g's for 55 stg.

note: you get a receipt and thus a 2 year warranty which, AFAIK, you don't with ebay sellers

another note: the free shipping is US only - free intnl shipping when order is over $280, otherwise intnl shipping is $25. I'd to get 3 pairs so got it free.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

Shure are a class company.
    I got mine new on ebay. My earphones usually last 3-6months before breaking at the wire joins or being stepped on. SInce these cost so much I was careful.

The wire split on one side but still worked, I thought they were out of warranty so just did a quick fix. Eventually they did break and were outside the 2 year warranty by a few months.

Emailed shure and got a reply from shure UK, sent them off and had a brand new fully boxed pair couriered over to me within a week, no charges at all. And now I figure I have another 2 year warranty on them!

I had to send reciepts, so just printed out the ebay confirmation emails.

I have the E3C BTW and they are excellent.
    AFAIK the G stands for gaming, and they have longer leads to fit into a soundcard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Nice prices, just watch out for customs/tax if ordering from the US.

AFAIK, the G models have shorter cables than the C - the shorter
    cable is to make it suitable for plugging into PSP type devices.

I made sure I ordered E2C and E3C in the past as I find the longer cable
    more convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Another thumbs up here for Eshure. I bought a pair of E2C's ages ago and they have lasted well. Superb sound quality and they block out all other sounds perfectly. Great for the plane etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Nice prices, just watch out for customs/tax if ordering from the US.
    Balls. I forgot about that.

Fingers crossed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

AFAIK, the G models have shorter cables than the C - the shorter
    cable is to make it suitable for plugging into PSP type devices..

I was wrong, this seems that is correct from reading forums. I like the longer one since I sometimes have the player in a back pack.

though shures site has them the same length in black, maybe black is just the E3G
    http://www.shure.com/PersonalAudio/Products/Earphones/ESeries/us_pa_E3c_content

http://www.shure.com/PersonalAudio/Products/Earphones/GamingEdition/us_pa_e3g_content

Customs should be fine, I think others here got them OK, I think that shops marks them as low value.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

also try www.earplugsuperstore.com

excellent noise reduction ear phones but the best is the Peltor radio / earphone ($105) excellent quality radio built into the earphones, blocks out all noise except alarms & phone and no-one can hear the radio no matter how loud you have it.

Was waiting in eye & ear hosp last week for 6 hours and they were an absolute blessing - normally just use them when cutting the grass.

I wouldn't go by the colour to determine whether they are the eXc or
    eXg models as I believe Shure have released the models in several
    colours (eg, the e2cs are available in both clear or black whilst
    the e3gs are just black). www.shure.com for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭peejay1986

I've a pair of Shure E3c, believe me you won't be disappointed with them if you buy them. They're unreal! Such sound from something so small.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

earphonesolutions won't ship internationally anymore. I bought my new SE310's from http://www.iheadphones.co.uk/

aaf wrote:
    earphonesolutions won't ship internationally anymore. I bought my new SE310's from http://www.iheadphones.co.uk/

amp3.co.uk are 30 euro cheaper for the e3c than iheadphones.co.uk
    Last pair I ordered were delivered in 3 days.
    Both sites have the e310 for GBP 139+shipping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭positron

Brilliant timing! I have been looking into getting hold of a e2c / e3c. Meanwhile, Amazon seems to have plenty of good reviews on cheap " Koss The Plug". Any thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/Koss-The-Plug-Portable-Headphones/dp/B00001P4XA

The Koss phones aren't bad for their price but are not in the league of the
    Shures IEMs. Shure have just launched a new range hence the price drop
    of the E2c and E3c as they are the older range. If you shop around
    you'll get them for almost half the price they were last year, skip a couple
    of rounds in the pub this weekend and pick up the E2cs instead of the Koss.

mobilefun.co.uk, amazon.co.uk (will not ship to Ieland) and amp3.co.uk
    all have specials on the E2c or E3c. Just because Shure have a new
    range doesnt mean there is anything wrong with the old selection.
    www.head-fi.org/ contains as much info as you could possibly want
    on earphones/headphones/IEMs. Search their fora for the particular
    models you're interested in, including the Koss.

I've used the E2c for over 2 years and really find them great. I picked up a
    set of E3c recently as at the reduced prices I couldn't resist. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

The Koss ones are OK (I had two pairs before), but break easily and the foam on them loses it's springiness very quickly - ends up taking you a minute to put in your ears. You're better off getting the ones with rubber ear adapters; you can pick up Sennheiser CX 300s on eBay very cheap these days and it's worth the bit extra.

P.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I bought a pair of e3c phones from that site a year or two ago and like the others absolutely love them. I've never heard music sound as good. If you're going to get a pair it's worth reading a bit about them too. It takes a few days to a week to get used to them, to make sure you're using the right buds for your ears and to make sure you're putting them in your ears correctly. Some of the reviews will have some tips on the best ways to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Malmedicine

Just picked myself up a pair of E2C's and they're WHOPPER. I stick them in can't hear the gf brilliant. All for the equivalent of €60- in a bricks and mortar shop in canada btw, but thanks for peaking the interest in these fantastic earphones.

positron wrote:
    Brilliant timing! I have been looking into getting hold of a e2c / e3c. Meanwhile, Amazon seems to have plenty of good reviews on cheap " Koss The Plug". Any thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/Koss-The-Plug-Portable-Headphones/dp/B00001P4XA

I have those ones for the last year. They're bloody great. So great that I couldn't help wonder what the shure e2g/e2c would be like!

TBH, I can't see how it'd possible to get more bang for your buck than the koss plugs.

Earphones arrived yesterday - sent as a low value present ;);)

EarphoneSolutions.com FTW

Fantastic! Are you selling any of your three pairs, nice1franko? :D

Did you instruct them specifically to mark it as 'low value present'? I am thinking of buying a pair of e2c from them. Anyone interested in a group by?

Giving a pair to my gf and a pair to my nephew for his bday - he's hit those poxy teenage-angst years so is just starting to really get into music - he'll be blown away by these fellas!

No, I didn't ask them to mark it low val either (would have if I'd remembered)!

I can't get a proper seal with the fittings that came with the shure's. I'm trying to like them but... if I'm honest with myself the sound from my koss plugs is way better! I use the black foam plugs on th ekoss ones but back to front - i.e. like ( )< instead of ( )> - and get a perfect seal. I guess the real bargain is the koss plugs :(

• Advertisement

I can't get a proper seal with the fittings that came with the shure's. I'm trying to like them but... if I'm honest with myself the sound from my koss plugs is way better! I use the black foam plugs on th ekoss ones but back to front - i.e. like ( )< instead of ( )> - and get a perfect seal. I guess the real bargain is the koss plugs :(

Sounds like you're using the wrong size tips, you'll need to change them
    to one that suits the size of your ear-holes. Try a bigger or smaller size
    and a different type of tip. I'm perfectly happy with the medium size
    soft black, but individual results will vary!

I find the 'over the ear' method gives me the best results. Check the Flash
    fitting guide. It takes most people a day or two to get used to them
    so persevere for a day with trying different tips and ensure you are
    pushing them in far enough to get a proper seal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Koss plugs are great value (especially if you get a few pairs from the states) but there are virtually no highs.. its all bass and low mid range.
    I used to love them and they are great for rock music etc especially at the price, but a while ago I got a pair of d-Jays from Jays of Sweeden (they used to make mp3 players) and they wipe the floor with the koss. More expensive obviously. I didn't like them at first because they were a big change over the "wooly sweater wrapped around the speaker" sound of the koss plugs but after a while I realised how great they sounded overall especially when I upped my encoding to 256+. The clarity and definition in the audio was a pretty new experience. Wav files are even better but can't afford the space! But certainly don't bother with them if you have your audio at 160 or less. I'm no audiophile but I really appreciate the difference .
    BTW the d-Jays fit waaaay better than the Shures. I've tried my mates Shures for a couple of days found them very uncomfortable particularly over time (train journey).
    Just me 2 cents..

Sounds like you're using the wrong size tips, you'll need to change them to one that suits the size of your ear-holes. Try a bigger or smaller size and a different type of tip. I'm perfectly happy with the medium size soft black, but individual results will vary!

Ah yeah course I've been trying the different fittings!! I've been messing with them for over a week now but none of the fittings are 'just right', if you know what I mean.

With the koss foam buds I put them and, even with no music on, I can barely hear a thing! The best I can manage with the shure fittings and I can still hear people tappin their keyboards around the office, crap bass, sounds tinny i.e. no feckin seal.

That said I haven't tried that over-the-ear method you mentioned. I haven't got them with me (1st day since I got them!) so I'll give that a bash later.

I might try hacking some koss foam plugs to fit the shures if that doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,378 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Ah yeah course I've been trying the different fittings!! I've been messing with them for over a week now but none of the fittings are 'just right', if you know what I mean.
    Have you tried the foams on the shures??

I got good seals on most of mine, in the end I got the triple flange etymotics which fit the shure e3c, and they are amazing. You really have to be jamming them in really far. I put a tiny bit of glue on mine since they have come off a few times in my ear. Have to use a tweezers to get them out!

http://search.ebay.ie/etymotic-tip_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQafcjZQQafmpZQQcatrefZC5QQfclZ3QQfromZR6QQfrppZ50QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ3QQfssZ0QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQga10244Z10425QQnojsprZyQQsaaffZafdefaultQQsabfmtsZ0QQsacatZQ2d1QQsacqyZQQsacqyopZgeQQsacurZ0QQsalicZQ2d15QQsaobfmtsZexsifQQsaprchiZQQsaprcloZQQsaslopZ1QQsbrsrtZd

nice1franko, how are you finding it now?

I just went into earphonesolutions, and are the coupons per order, or per item?

I tried ordering two e2G's and the total is

$99.99 2 $199.98

The coupon code only takes out $35

Subtotal: $199.98
    35.00 savings: -$35.00
    Total: $164.98

Hmm, that makes them $82.50 each..! Plus $25 shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Just got my pair of Shures (the £50 ones) and they are fantastic, can barely even hear myself speak

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Just got my pair of Shures (the £50 ones) and they are fantastic, can barely even hear myself speak

do you care to elaborate on this as to where you got them if they are a bargain or are you just dragging up zombie threads for the fun of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Not trying to drag up any thread just saying how good I thought they were this morning, got them off www.iheadphones.co.uk they're the White ones. Still trying to get used to their funny shape though.

Advertisement