Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP ... Need Tutor!!!

Options
  • 19-07-2007 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey Guys,

I'm just new to this so forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong section!

A friend of mine is after starting a new job as a Mechanical Design Engineer and he is proficient in AutoCAD but unfortunately hasn't a clue about Solidworks which this job requires him to know. So I'm just wondering if any of you might know someone who would be willing to give private Grinds/Tutorials in this or perhaps just point me in the right direction as to where to start looking?

He's living in the Sligo Area but he wouldn't mind travelling a bit in order to learn Solidworks.

Any help would be really appreciated:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭tak

Are you his girlfriend ?
    Is he on a wheelchair ?

Let him do his own asking, at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ondine

Neither! As I said I'm trying to help out a friend.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

tak wrote:
    Are you his girlfriend ?
    Is he on a wheelchair ?

Let him do his own asking, at least.

What kind of responce is that?
    Ondine wrote:

Hey Guys,

I'm just new to this so forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong section!

A friend of mine is after starting a new job as a Mechanical Design Engineer and he is proficient in AutoCAD but unfortunately hasn't a clue about Solidworks which this job requires him to know. So I'm just wondering if any of you might know someone who would be willing to give private Grinds/Tutorials in this or perhaps just point me in the right direction as to where to start looking?

He's living in the Sligo Area but he wouldn't mind travelling a bit in order to learn Solidworks.

Any help would be really appreciated

Download a demo and play with it a while Most of them will come with help sections.

I've learned to use most of the programes for civil engineering buy using them and asking questions. It helps if you have some one to answer them but "help" works to. Look for online tutorials as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ondine

Thanks a million I appreciate it, are they easy enough to follow? :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Ondine wrote:
    Thanks a million I appreciate it, are they easy enough to follow? :)

Only do civil stuff so never used solid works

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭tak

Kearnsr,

Solidsolutions (Irish reseller of Solidworks) do not give out demo disks, unlike Autodesk with Inventor.
    They say they have a sort of roadshow going round Ireland doing demos for interested parties.
    But this is a 1/2 hour hype-job, I'd say - not training.
    It may be weeks before they are next in Sligo.

If this "person" - who mysteriously refuses to do his/her own fetching & running - has already started the job then he may use his employer's site license number to enable him/her to work from home at evenings using the company software.
    For tutorials he/she can go to

http://www.mcadforums.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=44

Once registered on this CAD forum a member can pose & answer questions to & for others.

If this "person" has not yet started the new job - just got a starting date, say - then the best thing to do is to ask the local Sligo reseller of AutoCAD for a demo disk of Inventor (latest version).
    Inventor is essentially the same sort of package - but better, I think.
    The Inventor demo allows one to play with it for a month.
    It includes "walk-thru" tutorials to start one off.
    The features and utilities should be much the same in both Inventor and Solidworks so it won't be a waste of time.
    Once he/she actually starts the job then it's just a case of copy the company version of SW - for "home-work", all employers will allow this - and beaver away.

But the whole Ondine story is a mystery to me.
    Sure, a person can overplay his hand at an interview to get the job.
    But leaving the task of bridging the reality to the aspiration to someone else does display a stark lack of concern for his/her own job.
    Certainly not the ideal partner at work !:D

Advertisement