Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

taxi query, milking the speed?

Options
  • 18-07-2007 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭

got a taxi home after work (work in a nightclub) one night recently, my home is not far from Galway city centre, and usually costs between €5.50 and €7. This driver tended to go less than 20 km/hr so that it would go onto a timer. it cost me about €9. is that legal?? didn't get a receipt, dont ask me why?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Tbh, of the many scams that taxi's have I doubt this is one. Sure wouldn't it be in their interest to finsh with you and race to the next fare asap?
    For the sake of an extra few euro, why would a driver go slow?

You're entitled to a receipt and if you left the cab without getting one, not much point complaining here. Did you insist on one as you are entitled to do?
    A taxi receipt printed by the printer attached to the meter (not handwritten) must be given to all customers.
    This should include details of the vehicle licence number, the distance of the journey undertaken, the amount paid, the date and duration of journey.

http://www.taxiregulator.ie/index.jsp?1nID=93&2nID=94&3nID=94&4nID=103&5nID=94&6nID=94&7nID=103&pID=103&nID=138

• Registered Users Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

foxy_19-89 wrote:
    got a taxi home after work (work in a nightclub) one night recently, my home is not far from Galway city centre, and usually costs between €5.50 and €7. This driver tended to go less than 20 km/hr so that it would go onto a timer. it cost me about €9. is that legal?? didn't get a receipt, dont ask me why?

less than 20??

really, this is little more than walking pace, he can't possibly have been going that slowly on a clear road.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Saw a taxi going along the M50 the other day at 50km while the road ahead was empty and everyone having to move to the fast lane to over take. Had a customer as well.

So yea this is probably a new scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

loyatemu wrote:
    really, this is little more than walking pace, he can't possibly have been going that slowly on a clear road.

I'd love to know someone who can walk a little less than 20kph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Joseph Pribilinec 15.9 kph is about as good as it gets.
    I don't know if he charges extra for an extra passenger or bags.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Slightly off topic but when did the legislation about taxis having to issue receipts come in? I've often got a taxi and never got a receipt in my life!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Hagar wrote:
    Joseph Pribilinec 15.9 kph is about as good as it gets.
    I don't know if he charges extra for an extra passenger or bags.:D

Brilliant! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭BKtje

Slightly off topic but when did the legislation about taxis having to issue receipts come in?
    You have to ask for one if you want it. Came in when i started sticking all those stickers to the taxi windows explaining your rights and how much etc.
    Not that long ago really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

A taxi driver once gave me one without me asking when I was going for an interview because he said they might refund me for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Yeah, if you're ever in a suit they'll offer you a receipt.

Back on topic, it doesn't make much economic sense, unless it's a really slow day and they won't be able to find another fare. I often find if i'm getting dropped off in a car park or housing estate, the taxi driver will keep driving around and turning and all this crap while the meter increases.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Hobbes wrote:
    ...everyone having to move to the fast lane to over take...
    Which lane would that be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

kbannon wrote:
    Which lane would that be?

Now that would all depend on what part of the M50 he's talking about...
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Dirty Knuckles

foxy_19-89 wrote:

If your going to make up a story, make one up that's even slightly believable.

Yes, driving a taxi at less than 21kph mean's that the meter goes on time and not distance covered, but given that you have a clear road ahead the meter is calibrated to price the journey that same. ie clear road @ 20kph the meter will charge the same for the journey at 100kph.

And at 20kph I can't believe for a second you encountered any traffic.

I seen this thread yesterday, and on a clear road I actually tried to drive at 20kph and even in second gear my car struggled.

Receipts, the reason most driver's don't give them is because usually the person throw's the thing on the floor of the car. And btw, ALL meter's without exception print out a receipt. There's nothing underhanded about the driver not providing one.

Anything else?.

Hobbes wrote:
    Saw a taxi going along the M50 the other day at 50km while the road ahead was empty and everyone having to move to the fast lane to over take. Had a customer as well.

So yea this is probably a new scam.

1. Its not the "fast lane".

2. The driver wasn't breaking any law's.

3. The meter is calibrated to switch to time and not distance travelled at under 21kph, so which scam would he/she have been pulling?.

4. Which past of the M50 did this happen?, not that it really matters but some parts there's a 50kph limit.

Newaglish wrote:
    . I often find if i'm getting dropped off in a car park or housing estate, the taxi driver will keep driving around and turning and all this crap while the meter increases.

What?.

:rolleyes:

Do you know how long you'd have to stay in the car turning around "and all this crap" to make a difference to the meter?.

micmclo wrote:
    Tbh, of the many scams that taxi's have

Care to enlighten us about the other scam's?.

Advertisement