Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental Lease!

Options
  • 18-07-2007 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Im sure this has been covered before so apologies. Were moving into new rental accom, which has a 1 year lease....but we know were only going to be around for 6months.....now...my question is....what is the process of breaking a lease....the rental will be through an agency....

do you know how we would go about it?

what actions they can take against you?

what rights you have as a tennant?

Id appreciate your answers guys

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Worst case scenario- you could end up paying for the entire 12 month period.
    Best case- you'll probably have to pay for any length of time the property is empty between leases (in the current climate, it probably wouldn't be too long).
    Normally the monthly rent is a lot higher on short term leases than it is on longer leases- so you are being a little disengenous not letting the agency/landlord know you have no intention of honouring the lease.

Read the terms of the lease carefully- it is a legally binding document.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,784 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

A little disingenuous?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭HBK

disengenous indeed......agencies have to be the biggest gangster ever!!...screw telling them its not going to be upheld,only outcome would be not getting the property.....but thanks for your reply

• Registered Users Posts: 9,784 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It's not the agent you're hurting, it's the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Have you asked if they'd consider a 6 month lease? Or did you agree to a 12 month lease right away?

I've never broken a lease myself, but from I've heard in many cases some arrangement will be come to provided you give plenty of notice and facilitate viewings for prospective new tenants.

Acrimony between tenant and landlord is good for no one. If a bad tenant decides to withhold rent how long does an eviction take? A lot longer than 1 months deposit covers.

That said, if you are going to break the lease you might see the EA/LL holding onto your deposit when you go, so how prepared are you for that?

By the way, I have heard it is possible to be pursued for the full 12 months and contractually this would seem to make sense, but is this ever done in practice?

• Advertisement
Advertisement