Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop pictures

Options
  • 18-07-2007 3:27pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

recenlty got a good deal on a dell inspiron with a core 2 duo,1gb and radeon x1400 graphics.
    but pictures do not look good at all -very grainy.
    I have the resolution at 1280 * 800 and the drivers are fully up to date.

any other sujestions on what to try or run.

it's not just internet but the desktop also looks grainy. not what I expected at all.

k

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Check your colour resolution .. also if the pix themelves are low res then they will be grainy

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

can you give more details please :D

I have gone into colour management but there's nothing there I can see to change.

what do you mean and how to check "pix res" ?

thx

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

He's talking about the resolution of the picture. Right click and go to properties. Then click the summary tab and ensure it is on advanced. What does it say beside height and width?

am at work now without laptop so will check that out in the morning.

just to add - pics within web pages - rte.ie etc are not correct either.
    It's not just jpeg that are grainy.

Could the graphics software be not working correctly ??

Thx

K

Sounds a bit strange.. I am running at 1680*1050 and it looks fine.. Screenshot your desktop and possibly you GFX settings and maybe we can see something from that. Is RTE.ie ok on your work computer

• Advertisement

Just as a matter of interest .. what is the optimum resolution for your laptop?

rte.ie is fine at work using a 15" flat screen and at 1024*768

the current setting of 1280 * 800 is the highest res the laptop can goto.
    seems strange alright.
    it's runing vista if that makes any difference.

K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Sounds like an Inspiron 6400 you have and 1280*800 is the correct resolution for it. It is possible you got a dodgy screen. Have a look in device manager and make sure that the radeon drivers are loaded properly. If they are go and download the latest drivers from dell.ie. If it's still a problem I'd probably contact Dell.

Macros42
    I have auto-d/l the latest drivers from the web (not from dell) and nothing has changed.

before I contact dell would it be wise to uninstall the drivers and reload them.

I only have it 3 days so it's not a problem going back to dell.
    It is from the outlet store so that maybe where the problem is ??

will try these out tomorrow.

K

got onto dell today - not too bad an experience !!

so told the guy that I loaded latest drivers and tried out an external monitor -which had a perfect jpeg picture.

so dell bloke told me to lift off the panel above the keyboard and reseat the monitor cable just under the power key.
    this worked a treat. the jpegs/web pics were perfect.

done - right - no.

after the call - I moved the laptop and the pic returned to the grainy state it was in. I reseated the cable again and after boot-up the pic was perfect again. but when you tap/move the laptop and obviously move the cable the res turns crappy again.

I will ring dell again tomorrow - am I better off demanding a replacement/refund ???

thx

K

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

yup , its clearly got a damaged cable or socket , not fixable by you , so its replace/refund , as its so young I would imagine a refund is entirely possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

As much as you can demand, I think that the law states its one of the 3 R's (repair, replacement, refund) Generally companies will go in that order (Repair first, then replace and finally refund) although seen as it's so new they'll probably give you a definite replacement or possibly refund if you ask...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I though this was going to be a thread of pictures of people's laptops!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

karltimber wrote:
    I will ring dell again tomorrow - am I better off demanding a replacement/refund ???

Most certainly. Sale of Goods Act and all that, there's clearly a fault with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

BostonB wrote:

the twilight zone :D:D

Dell sub-contractor came to the house today and replaced the lcd panel on the laptop with a new one.

said that sometimes the cable can get pinched and can cause the irregular pics I was experiencing.

fixed and happy now :D

thx for the help lads & lassies,

K

Advertisement