Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake ads

Options
  • 18-07-2007 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

The lease on my apt is up at the end of August and me and the missus decided we'd rather live in a house. Last month I started checking daft.ie to get a general idea what's available at what price in the area. A few places caught my eye but it was a bit early for me to move in.
    This week we were checking daft again and the same places were still on there. Result! But when I rang the agent (all of them were from the same crowd) he said they were ALL gone, but if I left my name and number he'd get back to me.
    I checked daft again that evening and the same ads had been re-submitted. Surely this is false advertising? Saying they have a place to rent but don't.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

It is, and it would be helpful if Daft clamped down a bit on it. Several of the EAs seem to leave the featured ads (the ones at the top of the page after every search) up even after they have been let. I also know of one estate agent who has been using the exact same pictures when letting different properties, and over a long period of time.

For your own benefit just try and keep a list of what properties/agents are doing this and are messing you about. Then avoid them. I encountered a lot of EA incompetence and a lack of common courtesy when last looking for places to rent. Out of 10/12 agencies only 2 or 3 emerged with any credit in my eyes. The rest just weren't bothered.

Unfortunately the rental market has for some time been strongly in favor of the landlord/EA. I was surprised by the number of landlords who used EAs to let their properties - as there certainly was no lack of demand. Fair enough there is less hassle if something goes wrong, but I know the EA (one of the good ones) responsible for my place has been sitting on his rump the last 6 months and getting paid for it with respect to my apartment.

Advertisement