Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second-Hand Issues

Options
  • 17-07-2007 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭

I bought an fairly old camera about 3 months ago second hand. It seemed in pretty good nick and was a very reasonable price. It worked fine at first apart from the few minor problems which I was aware of when I bought it. Overall I was pretty happy with it. Last week I started noticing problems with it. It doesn't store photos some times. I've tried different cards and same results. The screen turns off and flickers when I shake the camera which makes me think their is a loose connection somewhere inside. Where do I stand on this?
    I know the guy that sold it to me and he is basically saying that it's not his problem. None of these problems were there when I bought it, which I agree with but I still feel screwed none the less.
    Are there any laws to protect the consumer (me) in this case?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

littlejp wrote:
    I bought an fairly old camera about 3 months ago second hand. It seemed in pretty good nick and was a very reasonable price. It worked fine at first apart from the few minor problems which I was aware of when I bought it. Overall I was pretty happy with it. Last week I started noticing problems with it. It doesn't store photos some times. I've tried different cards and same results. The screen turns off and flickers when I shake the camera which makes me think their is a loose connection somewhere inside. Where do I stand on this?
    I know the guy that sold it to me and he is basically saying that it's not his problem. None of these problems were there when I bought it, which I agree with but I still feel screwed none the less.

Nope, caveat emptor I am afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

Could you elaborate on that a little bit?
    I'm guessing it translates as "buyer beware" or something similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

littlejp wrote:
    I presume you bought it off just some guy as in he doesn't sell these cameras as part of a business. If that is true then you have absolutely no rights in this regard. In fact, you are not even a consumer in the eyes of the law in that transaction.

Yeah, he's just some guy. That's what I was afraid of. So I got no comeback even if these may have been latent problems at the time of sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

littlejp wrote:
    Yeah, he's just some guy. That's what I was afraid of. So I got no comeback even if these may have been latent problems at the time of sale?
    Nope, the sale of goods and supply of services act only applies to transactions between consumers and businesses.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Advertisement