Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WTF happened to the Henry Grattan pub?

Options
  • 17-07-2007 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭

Dandering down Baggot St today minding my business without a care in the world and then notice to my horror that the once fine establishment known as the Henry Grattan pub has been transformed into a tatty looking Londis supermarket. Just what the area needs!!!

When did that happen and why wasn't there an uproar?

As can be seen from this post (the first in the thread) the HG was an infinitely superior establishment to the run down Barry Murphy dive located a few doors down which survives. Better barmen, better service, better decor and infinitely better food.

Yet it has to make way for another tatty convenience store!

There is no justice in the world.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It's only closed for a refurb isnt it?. Theres a Londis beside it alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Not unless it's being refurb-ed elsewhere and being dropped in on top of the Londis (which occupies its exact former spot).

Looks like it's gone.

:mad: :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Nope, the Griffins who own almost all of the "convenience stores" between O'Connell Street and St Stephen's Green have turned left and are heading down Baggot Street. The pub was put up for sale a couple of years, presume it was bought by an investor who decided he could make more money from renting it out as a supermarket than running it as a pub. The rent is e275k per annum or something so that's some amount of cash for no running costs. Pity though, it was nice for an odd pint.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Wasn't the old pink marble bar and many other fittings from the old Prince's Bar that used to be beside the GPO in the Henry Grattan?

Please tell me they didn't skip it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Gerry the barman and Will the barboy: if you happen to read this, you will be missed

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I was passing that Londis there myself today and wondering what happened to the Henry Grattan.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Punchbowl

Shocking stuff, but typical of modern Ireland. I mean, is it that big a deal to actually have to walk 5 mins to your nearest store??

Anyway, I posted about it on my blog (below) along with some other sensational supermarket news

• Registered Users Posts: 1 LawrenceJohn

Seemingly their was a fire in the kitchen of the Henry Grattan and while awaiting repairs the owner decided not to reopen and simply retired.

Very disappointing, it was a well run bar and regular meeting place for staff and DJS of Radio Nova, just around the corner in Herbert Street.

I was a DJ on Radio Nova myself and started SHIVERS DISCO BAR in the cellar/ basement of The Grattan.

Just started a FB page for memories check it out, LIKE and FOLLOW :

Lawrence John

www.RadioNOVAinternational.co

• Registered Users Posts: 68,147 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Weirdly its still licenced as a pub, licence used for the offo of the Spar.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,109 ✭✭✭✭Esel

15 years later. Fair play on the Radio Nova page though.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,994 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

It was also the "other office" for Q102. 😂 Especially the sales team (Mr. H & co)

Ah, I miss those good old days of having a couple of luncheon pints and heading back to the office.

Advertisement