Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to get a credit card

Options
  • 17-07-2007 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Hi,well where to begin.
    I applied for a student credit card at aib about 2 months ago or more and promptly got a letter back declining my application.i presumed the main reason was that i only use aib for my current ac,so i opened a cashsave ac and transfered my savings from tsb over to make it look like is wasnt completely broke.After applying again i got a letter that i THOUGHT was acceptance which said i had to go down to my local bank with id etc and then send the form away.the lady at the bank said i would get my card quite soon,so 2 weeks went by and no card.I went down to the bank to see what the problem was.
    I was told the card was on the way and there was just a delay!.Well i thought that was ok until i woke up the next day.
    I found a letter in the post saying i had been declined and the letter was dated 5 days ago?! Should the lady have not seen this on the computer?
    Now this is where i got really annoyed,i rang the no. on the letter and was told by a representative that because i go to ballyfermot college and not a cao course i wasnt eligible,but i went back on the site and it specifically says college,university,or 3rd level full time institution?.
    I then looked at the requirements for the BE/visa/mastercard and they say u must have an income of 20k so im a student and thats not possible.
    Now that my ranting is over i have two questions!
    1)was i right to be refused?
    2)what other banks should i look into for student credit cards?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Try BOI or Halifax.

Yes, they have a right to refuse you. They have to have a secure feeling that you can pay back any credit used.

You may not be able to get a credit card.

Alternatively, you could get a parent/sibling to get a credit card, and then they make a request for a 2nd card (in your name). I did this for my sister. She now has a card (in her name), but it's on my account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 denvey

Well it wasnt so much that i didnt have the credit,the guy just said because i wasnt doing a cao course that i didnt qualify for the card,but the website says once you are in uni/college/or 3rd level institution full time.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

AIB turned me down for a cc ages ago, and I found out it was because I was listed as a student on their files. This was 10 years after I had last been in college, and I had a mortgage with them at the time. They just hadnt bothered to update my details, and that one thing caused a refusal each time I applied. So perhaps there is something small in your circumstances (not just the student thing) thats causing a refusal.

Note: I moved to BOI who had no problem giving me a cc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Paulw wrote:
    Alternatively, you could get a parent/sibling to get a credit card, and then they make a request for a 2nd card (in your name). I did this for my sister. She now has a card (in her name), but it's on my account.

Brave man! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

i did same moved from aib to boi.
    applied loan in aib only 2k and after 45minuts interview on phone send me rejection letter (at the time i was with aib for 3 years).
    moved to boi applied loan online 5k after 4 months. in 5 working days money was in my account happy days. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭donhughberto

try mbna, easiest cc i ever got, very little details asked for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

AIB cc!!!

Are you crazy

If i offered you a loan for 2000 Euro
    Would you take it with 18.9% interest or 9.9%

SHOP AROUND IRELAND

*SHAKE*

PTSB and NIB offer the current lowest rates on credit cards.

I'm shocked to see that you even have PTSB account and you went for the most expensive credit option available in the country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

There'll be a letter about this in the Times tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 denvey

hmm,the tsb ice card seems quite good,aib told me today that they have just changed their policy on the student credit card where now only cao courses are accepted as third level but the bank (now i dont really get this bit) as in my local bank will sign as a guarantor saying that they accept my 3rd level details??.
    so anyway ill leave it a week as they now tell me its back on its way!tho im still not convinced...but if it doesnt come im defo cancelling my account and moving to either boi or opening a current ac with tsb and applying there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

i know its not a solution, but if you just a casual shopper why dont you try wirecard?

• Advertisement
Advertisement