Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trains to Galway

Options
  • 16-07-2007 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

I'm heading down to the Galway races on Wednesday the 1st, I was looking at the time table and I was thinking of getting the train from Sallins at 18.13 (leaves heuston at ten to six) on the tuesday night. I was just wondering about this train-How busy is it? Will is be worse with the races? does it ACTUALLY do first class (after work I'd pay to put my feet up, IF it would be worth it) Anyone know?? Any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Look on irishrail.ie - no reservations available for that train. "First Class" is really just a reserved seat and almost never worth it.
    Yes, it will be busy- very busy. And it will be even busier with the races.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Get there early. Expect it to be utterly chaotic with the races on. Galways transport system barely manages as it is, let alone during race week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭afatbollix

id recomend flying.....i looked the last day it was like 35 euro for a single flight during the races.... garenteed a seat and youll be there in 45 mins.... if you included the 40 mins you have to be in the airport y9ou sill gain time....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Get there early. Expect it to be utterly chaotic with the races on. Galways transport system barely manages as it is, let alone during race week.

I'd have to say that the Bus Eireann race shuttle service between Eyre Square and Ballybrit is a very well run operation, with people never left waiting on a bus. It's just fighting through the traffic to/from Ballybrit that's the problem!

As for getting to Galway, there is first class on the 1650 and 1905 services ex-Heuston. The 1750 ex-Heuston has no first class on board.

You could take the 1902 ex-Sallins to Kildare and join the 1905 service there at 1944 and book the seat on the latter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

anto-t wrote:
    id recomend flying.....i looked the last day it was like 35 euro for a single flight during the races.... garenteed a seat and youll be there in 45 mins.... if you included the 40 mins you have to be in the airport y9ou sill gain time....

Flying would be easy but bear in mind getting from Galway Airport to Galway City can be hell unless you opt for a taxi.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭happydance

thanks for the advice, unfortunatly I'll be in Naas at work so it really is easier to get into Sallins then to start trying to get a plane, I think... although I do intend to check it out!

I might conside the later train-I'll check times-I've got to get there for a late dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭happydance

Hmmm. Galway doesn't seem to be that popular for flights! I think I may try the ten to six train. Would you get on ok? I'ts not like the morning commuters is it with people not even fitting on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

I wouldn't worry there will be heaps of seats when the train leaves Sallins and worst case you will have to stand for 10 minutes until you get to Newbridge where the next heap of commuters get off

Sallins is likely to be unstaffed, don't worry the ticket checker will issue the ticket, cash only of course

Advertisement