Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Email on Phone - in Message Center

Options
  • 15-07-2007 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hello,

I read the rules, and followed the Irish Operator Settings, went to Meteor and downloaded everything, and rang them 3 times and emailed back and forth with an email customer service rep, and I am still where I started.

I have the Motorola Razr v3i with meteor.

I have my email box in my message center set up like this:

ISP Settings
    Connection Type: GPRS
    APN Address: ISP.MYMETEOR.IE
    Username: my
    Password: isp
    DNS IP: 0.0.0.0

and then I have all my pop mail info inserted where it asks. It is not working it says connection unsuccessful.

I have also downloaded the gmail application for mobiles onto my phone and it cannot connect either.

I can connect to the meteor web browser and surf the web that way, as well as access the meteor emails through the web browser only.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this, I would really like to be able to get my email directly to my phone without having to use the web browser.

I did an online search and one person said you have to ring meteor and enable isp access on your phone. They thought I wanted to use my phone as a modem for my computer to connect online. I even gave it a try to see if it would fix it and it didn't work.

Thank you. I appreciate the help.

Motorola v3i pay as you go, bought at meteor shop for meteor.

Trying to use gmail or really ANY email that will go to message inbox instead of through web browser.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm pretty sure Meteor doesn't support email like that. You have access to some pop servers through the WAP site, but they're pretty old. Best way is to go to www.gmail.com/app, and get the Mobile App which allows you to access your mail through a java app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 glenda.27

Thank you!! I actually got the app in my attempts, but not even it can connect... any suggestions? thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

Hi,

I'm in the same boat as you - tried setting up manually, and also tried the gmail application...it hangs at "connect" and eventually times out.
    Have gone through all the settings etc but haven't got anywhere. Has anyone out there had any luck?

lampsie

With Meteor, you can receive e-mail but can't send. No SMTP server.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Smithers

i am using an application called flurry on my meteor phone 4 my gmail accnt ,works a treat, sending and receiving

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭niallb

Karsini wrote:
    With Meteor, you can receive e-mail but can't send. No SMTP server.

Yes you can.
    You just need to find an smtp server that'll let you.
    Depending on your phone and whether it'll allow you do authentication,
    you can use smtp.gmail.com.

OP, check you're actually using isp.mymeteor.ie and not wap.mymeteor.ie
    when you're using the built in browser because your problems do sound
    like you haven't had isp access set up properly.

If you were on billpay, purchase the cheapest data addon for your phone,
    and they'll set up the isp access for you. The addon will lapse if you don't
    renew it, but the isp access will stay on.
    That said, if you're planning to do mail on the move, subscribing
    to a data plan will save you a fortune, much cheaper than payg!

By the way, you can receive mails on your phone by having them
    forwarded to yournumber@mms.mymeteor.ie.
    They'll come in like text messages, but full length and with attachment support. It's free to receive within Ireland, and if your phone supports it,
    you can save the email address in your address book, and reply as an email.

They don't have their own SMTP server and I've never found one that works. Hence why I said it can't be done. And not all phones support custom SMTP ports either even if they support SSL so the Gmail server isn't a certainty. But if you can get over those hurdles then cool enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭RedivideR

chrislad wrote:
    ...Best way is to go to www.gmail.com/app, and get the Mobile App which allows you to access your mail through a java app.

I was in the same boat too but this works perfectly for me. Really handy.. Thanks a lot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭ollyk1

Smithers wrote:
    i am using an application called flurry on my meteor phone 4 my gmail accnt ,works a treat, sending and receiving

Thanks a million!! I was having the exact same probs as the OP and that coupled with my lack of technical knowledge was leading to a lot of frustration but this app is marvelous. Where the gmail app hangs with a loading notice. Flurry does the business perfectly.

Thanks again!

P.S. I'm not sure if I'm using gprs or wap instead or is there a difference on meteor? but thats a problem for another day... :rolleyes:

Advertisement