Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regiments in Kerry 1840c

Options
  • 13-07-2007 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭

I am researching my family tree and I need help researching one ancestor. I have very little information on him. I know that he was listed on his daughter's wedding cert as a soldier.
    His name was Walter Glover and his daughter was Mary. She was born 1828c.
    This marriage took place in Killeentierna, Currow, Kerry in 1848. I am trying to find out what regiments might have been in the area at that time, or any other ideas on how to trace him. I looked on the UK National Archives, but I may as well have been looking into a bush !
    Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

jos28 wrote:
    I am researching my family tree and I need help researching one ancestor. I have very little information on him. I know that he was listed on his daughter's wedding cert as a soldier.
    His name was Walter Glover and his daughter was Mary. She was born 1828c.
    This marriage took place in Killeentierna, Currow, Kerry in 1848. I am trying to find out what regiments might have been in the area at that time, or any other ideas on how to trace him. I looked on the UK National Archives, but I may as well have been looking into a bush !
    Cheers.

Have a look in the local C of I cemetery. Any regiment in a town for a while generally left a few burials behind. So for instance if you find three headstones of the 1st Foot in 1848 it's a good bet that regt was in town at the time.

If you are really lucky the local history society will have transcribed the headstones and lodged them in the local library.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Nice one, Mick. Never thought of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

Is Killeentierna, Currow near Tralee by the way. Because I found this on Rootsweb

http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/IRL-KERRY/2002-02/1012956201
    Many well known British Regiments were posted to Tralee, and Connaught Rangers, (the 88th) had their first Depot there. An illustration in a
    regimental history of the Connaught Rangers shows the Officers Mess in
    Ballymullen Barracks in 1848.

Thats a brilliant link, Mick. Killeentierna is near Tralee. Most of Walter's sons left to work in Tralee, so that could be where he was based. Wouldn't have fancied the army as a career choice. Not too pleasant !

Hi Mick,
    Just thought I would let you know that I found all the regiments in the area at the time. All regiments serving in Ireland are listed in Thoms Directory. In Kerry, the 47th, 68th,71st,77th,85th and 95th Foot regiments were listed. I had a search done and unfortunately, the man I am looking for was not there. Ah well, I have eliminated his army record for those regiments and will have to search elsewhere. Thanks for your help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

jos28 wrote:
    In Kerry, the 47th, 68th,71st,77th,85th and 95th Foot regiments were listed. I had a search done and unfortunately, the man I am looking for was not there. Ah well, I have eliminated his army record for those regiments and will have to search elsewhere. Thanks for your help.

They're all regular infantry regiments, could he have been a cavalryman, a gunner or a sapper?

This might be useful; http://www.regiments.org/about/faq/ancestor.htm

Advertisement