Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it illegal to do this scheme thing to make people rich ?

Options
  • 13-07-2007 1:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭

so we all heard of a pyramid scheme, women empowering women, etc...... where people give over thousands and make very few people rich and someone always loses out and is really upset, so Im wondering, if i set up a scheme, where say the maximum anyone donates is 1 euro then after i get 10,000 it passes on to the next people in the heriarchy , is that illegal ? , i mean its still a pyramid scheme, yes, and people will lose out in the end, but , 1 euro is not going to bring someone into debt.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

It would probably depend on the terms of the contract someone entered into by spending that euro tbh.

Probably dodgy, and it's doubtful you'll get 10,000 idiots to sign up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I didn't think pyramid schemes were illegal, just stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭StephenC_IRL

i wouldnt say idiots, investors more like, and id get 10 people to sign up, then those 10 would get 10 more, i reckon 10,000 people would give 1 euro to a friend

and then for those 10,000 investors to get their pay off you need 10000*10000 new inverstors, 100 million, that shouldn't be too difficult when they see you have made your 10k

ok well part of the conditions will be that when i/ next in line get 10k , 10 euro has to be passed to the next 10 people in the heirarchy that you introduced, so you only get 9,900 euro, i reckon i could make it work

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

AFAIK pyramid schemes are illegal no matter what quantity of money is changing hands.

right, ok then how do i earn 10k before 2008, i need a car :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Pimp yourself out.:)

Theres no easy way to make money, unless you win the lotto or something. If there were, we'd all be doing it.

Unless your lucky enough to get a well paying job or get a loan off of your parents, I guess your in a spot of bother.

do euro lotto, i've had three wins in the last month or two - yay for euro lotto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Why do you need 10k for a car.
    If it's your first car you shouldn't need more then 2-3k.
    Get something Japanese with a full history and it should be reasonably reliable.
    You should be able to raise that kind of cash over the summer. Of course you should have started your summer job weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭wba88

tuxy wrote:
    Why do you need 10k for a car.
    Insurance :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭wba88

MooseJam wrote:
    do euro lotto, i've had three wins in the last month or two - yay for euro lotto
    and ur numbers are...............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭MarinoMark

You people have no vision....
    Where do I send my euro to ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Why not ask here or there. You never know your luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

Well by my calculations, minumum wage times 6 months equals about €10k, have you considered a job? ;)

Actually I googled an old thread about the Women empowering women pyramid scheme. It sounds so sad and frustrating that people used feminism to market this scam. Anyone know anyone who was burned by it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

OP, you could just get a job.

That scheme sounds like it's harder than work and would take longer to get your 10k from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

blah wrote:
    Anyone know anyone who was burned by it?
    It all came to light when a group of upper middle-class fortysomething women were in a house having some wine with a considerable amount of money sitting on the coffee table. Two men burst in with weapons, took the money and walked out again.
    They reported it to the Garda, and when the Gardai asked what in God's name they were doing with so much money on the table, the whole Women empowering women thing came out, and anyone with two brains cells loled at the idiocy. That then cued a few weeks of the radio stations going on about it, and women with zero maths skills attempting to justify it and not understanding the 3D triangularness of the whole thing.

As best I remember it was traced back to some man in the UK. I could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

According to what I've read, it originated in the US, then came to Ireland via the Isle of Wight and the UK.

In the old thread I read, this fella was complaining about women in work constantly banging on about it, and their response to his reasoning was that all other similar schemes were run by men and that one run by women was foolproof. It's clever marketing to promote it in that way, making marks think that anyone (any man) who tries to help them is just oppressing them. Of course worse case (and most likely case) scenario is that you end up with no money and pissed off at friends who egged you on, or friends who came off better than you.

Actually in respose to the OP's thread title, in the case of those scams, "Women empowering women" and "hearts" no-one was prosecuted, because technically it wasn't illegal , because they weren't selling an actual product (back in 2001). Don't know if that's changed now.

But asking people for €1 to join your "scheme", you might as well just pick a spot in town and spend the day begging. Some of the beggars do quite well apparently, supporting a heroin addiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭HammerHeadGym

Have you tried working, you lazy git??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

it's not illegal, if some sort of service is being provided (no matter how s**te, e.g. information provision) - that's how you get around the pyramid scheme accusation - which are illegal in Ireland

• Advertisement
Advertisement