Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Down With This Sort of Thing - no more

Options
  • 12-07-2007 9:50pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Having lost Bray cineplex a few weeks ago, it seems Greystones cinema is now gone too. I have never attended said cinema, but it has earned it's place in boards history for being the scene of the infamous "careful now!" and "down with this sort of thing!" moment in the Passion of St Tibulus episode of Father Ted.

Anyway, our fair county is now without a picture house.

Id say IMC are doing a wee dance right now out in Dun Laoghaire ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

where did you hear this - their website suggests they are still running
    http://www.screengreystones.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 45,127 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

loyatemu wrote:
    where did you hear this - their website suggests they are still running
    http://www.screengreystones.net/
    Graham Spurling confirmed it, there was a small article about it in the Bray people this week.

Sad day really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yep the Bible that is the Bray People announced it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Anyway, our fair county is now without a picture house.

Is there not one on the main street in Bray also?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

That was closed down the other week. There really is nothing but pound shops Charity shops (not that I object but there are quite a few) and Chemists in Bray town. No wonder everyone goes out to Dundrum now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,152 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

When did Bray finish up? T'was an awful cinema really, coming from quite a distance away, I'd gladly go the extra bit to Dun Laoighre. Although think there could be plans for one in Wicklow...not that I'd ever go there either anyway. Amazing that the county doesnt have one "picturehouse".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Bray truly was a dreadful cinema towards the end of its lifespan - it was almost cheaper to go the Dun Laoghaire, and many times better. Plus they never had anything worthwhile on - anything slightly outside the mainstream wasnt allowed there for the last few years.
    But much time killed there as a young fellow. Big landmarks, such as seeing my first 15s rated film :eek: Good times, good times.

My first 15's film was the Commitments and I saw it in Bray Cinema. Such a job I had convincing the girl I was 15......was really 13! But yeah it turned into a dump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 scivvy

I've heard that there is also planning permission being sought for a new cinema in Charlsland in the proposed new shopping centre, any one kmow anything about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,540 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ah no! I knew Bray Cineplex was closing but didn't know it already happened. Wanted to go and see one final show in the place...even if it was a total dump.
    foxy06 wrote:
    My first 15's film was the Commitments and I saw it in Bray Cinema. Such a job I had convincing the girl I was 15......was really 13! But yeah it turned into a dump.

I wen't to see my first 18, Starship Troopers in there. Was 13 at the time :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,152 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Just remembered, I had a voucher for Bray that expired in April. Looking like I wont be able to convince them to let me use it now:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Why was Bray cineplex closed? For Crimes against Cinema? :)

Although saying that, I have some good early memories of the place.

I reckon Cineworld or Vue could make a mint if they set up a 12-screen place out on the Southern Cross :)

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭tattoo

Bray cinema was a kip. Have very fond memories of it from yesteryear but it went downhill a lot recently. Dundrum is only a short drive away. I think there are plans to to build a new cinema on the little Bray developement but that's a long way off.

What little Bray development is that?

Edit: just thinking: Do you mean the development on the old Bray Golf Course?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 ADK

Oh no, was only in Greystones cinema last week seeing Shrek! I liked it even though it was freezing. I think it's a shame it has closed. Went to Bray cinema last year and vowed not to go again, the handrails were sticky :eek: and it felt really dirty. Is the cinema in Arklow not still open? I have never been there but it looked really kippy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭fionated7

the cinema on arklow main street closed a few years back but they are building one in the new bridgewater centre.. i think its due to open in september, not sure tho

foxy06 wrote:
    What little Bray development is that?

Edit: just thinking: Do you mean the development on the old Bray Golf Course?
    There were tenders put in for the cinema contract in Bray - but that is 2012 at the earliest as far as i know.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i think its really sad, i have many great memories of that cinema, i remember when it was just two screens and you have had to q for hours to make sure you got a seat - i think my first film in bray was Annie. i remember loads of teenage dates there - oh happy memories. RIP Bray Cineplex :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Shame to hear that the Greystones Cinema is closed. I saw many many films there over the years.. I've plenty of (fond?) memories of the place.

A mate of mine used to run the projector room. Got up to all sorts..

Private screenings, sunbathing on the roof, not to mention the funny smelling smoke that would seem to originate from the general projector room area..

I seem to recall seeing pictures of it from years back, in one of the Greystones history books, when it was a two tier cinema. Looked huge. I only vaguely remember it before it was 'done up', and reduced in size.

Anyone remember the rainbow 'screensaver' they'd have on before the film started? Ah memories..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the cinema used to occupy the entire building (before my time though)
    then they turned what used to be the balcony into a smaller cinema and rented out the downstairs bit (currently an antiques place I think)

shame its gone - single screen cinemas are now almost extinct in Ireland.

I was speaking to one the of the developers of the charlesland shopping centre and he was saying the reason they didn't include a cinema was because they didn't want to be accused of running down businesses (ie the existing cinema) in the village. I'm not sure though that any cinema in greystones could compete with Dundrum and the proposed multiplex in Bray - the town isn't big enough on its own to support a multi-screen cinema.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Stopped going to Greystones cinema a couple of years ago, the place was so dirty it was a health hazard! I regret the closure of small local businesses but not in this case.

loyatemu wrote:
    the cinema used to occupy the entire building (before my time though)
    then they turned what used to be the balcony into a smaller cinema and rented out the downstairs bit (currently an antiques place I think)

shame its gone - single screen cinemas are now almost extinct in Ireland.

I was speaking to one the of the developers of the charlesland shopping centre and he was saying the reason they didn't include a cinema was because they didn't want to be accused of running down businesses (ie the existing cinema) in the village. I'm not sure though that any cinema in greystones could compete with Dundrum and the proposed multiplex in Bray - the town isn't big enough on its own to support a multi-screen cinema.
    when the development down at charlesland was originally proposed, there was talk of a cinema, but no one seemed willing to take on the massive rent that was wanted on it.

fionated7 wrote:
    the cinema on arklow main street closed a few years back but they are building one in the new bridgewater centre.. i think its due to open in september, not sure tho

Yup it is supposed to be opening next month.
    It already looks finished if you drive round the back of the new bridgewater centre.
    The whole centre is opening in October
    It's a 9 screen cinema
    The new Gaiety Cinema Group (GCG) multiplex will bring all the latest box office blockbusters to the Arklow and general Wicklow audience.

The interiors and facilities provide one of the most contemporary cinema experiences in the country. The 1590 seater multiplex will boast state-of-the-art facilities such as rocker adjustable seating and the latest in dolby digital surround technology. The kids club café and interactive multimedia areas combined with a loop hearing system all compliment this unique cinema experience.

http://www.bridgewatercentre.ie/

Now all we need is to extend the dart to Arklow and greystones cinema goers will be sorted :D

Shame to hear that the Greystones Cinema is closed. I saw many many films there over the years.. I've plenty of (fond?) memories of the place.

A mate of mine used to run the projector room. Got up to all sorts..

Private screenings, sunbathing on the roof, not to mention the funny smelling smoke that would seem to originate from the general projector room area..

I seem to recall seeing pictures of it from years back, in one of the Greystones history books, when it was a two tier cinema. Looked huge. I only vaguely remember it before it was 'done up', and reduced in size.

Anyone remember the rainbow 'screensaver' they'd have on before the film started? Ah memories..
    heh - i remember all that - and trying to play footie on the roof too (once)

The rainbow yoke was....cool:D

I have no idea what you are talking about regarding funny smoke though....:rolleyes:

Advertisement